Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. To find out which pushchairs have won Mumsnet Best, read our lightweight stroller reviews. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic.

Double Buggies

(22 Posts)
MumToSophie Sun 29-May-11 10:00:09

Sorry, I'm sure this has been done to death and I have scrolled through the threads to try to get some advice and I'm still confused!!

My baby is due the day before my dd's 2nd birthday, my dp is not keen to get a double buggy but I think we'll def need one. I have been searching online for weeks and I'm still not sure what to get.

I THINK I have it down to 3 buggies which are the out n about nipper 360, baby jogger city mini and a babyweavers baby to twin I saw on kiddicare. Anyone any advice on these 3? I don't think I'm too fussy with what I need, I just want one that will be comfy for my toddler and newborn, not too heavy / wide as I'd also like to be able to go shopping and fit through standard doorways with it oh and not too expensive since my other half thinks we don't need one in the first place.

Meglet Sun 29-May-11 10:14:52

I've only used a P&T and we had a monster Urban Detour double for a while (great for walks to the park and supermarket, but wouldn't fit through the front door or small shops).

What I will say is that it always seems to be the dad who doesn't think they are neccesary hmm. 2 year age gap + cold weather + dawdling / tantrumming toddler is not a good mix. I still use my P&T and the dc's are 4 & 2, its a lifesaver when we are in a rush or the weather is grim.

MumToSophie Sun 29-May-11 10:27:35

Thanks, I'll have another look at the P&T too. I don't know why he thinks we won't need one, I'm sure after his first trip out with the girls alone he'll be glad of it smile

Meglet Sun 29-May-11 10:59:38

I have to say that if I'd had the storage space I wish I had bought a second hand P&T and a second hand side-by-side 3 wheeler. The P&T is good for small shops, doctors surgeries etc and the side-by-side 3 wheeler was lovely to push and ideal for supermarkets as I could get loads of shopping underneath.

The P&T isn't bad, not as nice to push as some, but it makes up for it with it's 'slim-ness'.

MumToSophie Sun 29-May-11 11:32:24

I think I'll have to shop around so I can see some and have a little test drive, so far I've just been online and I'd prefer to try some before I buy. I hadn't thought of second hand either so will have a look in to that too. We do have quite a lot of storage space, I would just need to convince my dp that actually I need two buggies now not just the one. I'm sure he'll see my way in the end though haha.

Thanks very much for your advice

Guildfordnanny Sun 29-May-11 11:43:36

I am the opposite. I wouldn't buy a P&T for shopping unless you buy the panniers because with two children on board it is hard to find storage space for anything without having to thread things past little legs. I have a BJCM which is great except access to the massive shopping basket is limited and I got fed up of having to post cans and packets individually through the small gaps. I also got back ache from the non adjustable handle. But I love my single which is why I got the double. But the BJCM is packed with features and is good. However if you have the storage space and funds, consider the Elite because the adjustable handle, bigger wheels, fantastic storage, better basket access and lovely padded seats are worth it. The Nipper gets good reviews all round. Even though it is wider than a standard door frame, people say it wiggles nicely through doors because of the triangular footprint ie one back wheel, then the other. The downside seems to be the buckety seats that at present don't sit upright, and the non adjustable handle. But its a light pushchair with air tyres. If you can wait the new 2011 Nipper seems to have addressed these issues. I know nothing about the Baby Weavers. Believe me you will be glad time and time again of a double. Handling one child is easy, two makes life harder. Plus two year olds are prone to running off, tantrums, dawdling and general mischief and mayhem. A double gives you an easier life!

MumToSophie Sun 29-May-11 12:01:53

Oh I've just been looking at the elite on the pramcentre website, I might have to have a run through to glasgow and try it out. I think I am leaning towards the BJCM. Hopefully they'd have them both in store so I can compare. Did you put a newborn in yours? That's the only thing putting me off the doubles I've seen, if they are comfy for newborns.

aswellasyou Sun 29-May-11 12:09:07

If I were you, I would definitely look into buying second hand. You can get so much more for your money! For the £200-£300 you're looking at spending on these, you could easily get an iCandy Pear. It converts from a single to double so you could just use it as a single when your older daughter no longer uses a pushchair.
I've had a Maclaren Twin Traveller-not great for babies who want to sit up, fine lying down or for older babies/toddlers, also surprisingly long folded-and a Jane Powertwin-I like this but if I could afford more I'd have bought something else, it's a bit long but turns well and the wheels easily pop off to fit into a small space.

LakeFlyPie Sun 29-May-11 12:29:49

I bought a pristine 360 Nipper on ebay for £130 and love it.
Really manouverable, haven't found a doorway it doesn't fit through yet and seats lie flat / sit up independently for newborn / toddler.
Would highly recommend it.

My DSis has a P+T and is now looking for a Nipper wink

MumToSophie Sun 29-May-11 13:33:22

Thanks girls, I'm still so confused and when I try to ask my other halfs advice I can see his eyes pretty much glaze over and this morning I got "just get whatever you thinks best" when I asked what he thought, so helpful!! Might have to drag him round a few shops today smile

Guildfordnanny Sun 29-May-11 13:39:13

I think you will definitely understand and know more by the end by the end of some window shopping. I know what you mean re other halves but in some ways that's best ;) Have a look too at Best Buggy because it's mainly doubles and tandems on there and you can compare pushchairs side by side. There are a cowpoke of Elite v's City Mini reviews and photos too. Happy shopping.

Guildfordnanny Sun 29-May-11 13:40:23

Cowpoke?? Blinking iPad...why does it think it knows what you really meant to type...not? It should have said 'couple'!

PrincessScrumpy Mon 30-May-11 17:10:56

Were expecting twins so have been looking - we tried the out and about nipper and the baby jogger - out and about was by far my favourite. You can use one hand and hold other dc's hand when they're walking (I have a 3yo).

We actually think we'll got for the new mountain buggy duet out in July but I wouldn't spend that much if it was for a newborn and a 2yo, I'd get a cheaper one as it's only for about a year then your 2yo will be walking much more.

Guildfordnanny Mon 30-May-11 19:10:21

I am getting a Duet for my 2.5 year old and baby. I think we will need a double for a long time yet for day trips and theDuet should hold it's value with being new.

MumToSophie Tue 31-May-11 15:24:03

Guildfordnanny I think you are the pushchair expert smile I've just been reading another thread where you have almost convinced me to get a Britax B Dual. Now I am stuck between the Britax and baby jogger.

Thanks again everyone for your advice, wish I could just make up my mind now!!

plusonemore Tue 31-May-11 15:32:49

nipper 360!!!! so comfy for you and kids (DS1 2y8m whne DS2 born) realy easy to steer, really miss it now!

Anniebojangles Fri 10-Jun-11 21:40:40

I have a 4yr old weighing in at 15kgs with mobility problems and another baby on the way. Don't know what to do about a double buggy yet. It would have to be one that goes up to maybe 20kgs and the other side would have to be suitable for a newborn.

Guildfordnanny Fri 10-Jun-11 21:59:31

Have a look at the Mountain Buggy Duo and Duet. Also the Phil & Teds Verve. We are just discussing the Mountain Buggy +One on the addicts thread and it may be one to watch if the flaws that were present a few months ago get fixed. Also just as an aside UK pushchairs don't test beyond 15kgs except the ones mentioned (The Mima Kobi goes to 17kg and the Nipper may do more) however if you look say at the US Baby Jogger stats page, their pushchairs have higher tested weights and are the same as the UK. I had a 10 and an 11 year old in a BJ Elite and in the Trends for Kids Twinner Twist Duo last week (simply to see how they fitted) and I could push both no problem. Not recommended but food for thought!

Guildfordnanny Fri 10-Jun-11 22:02:52

Sorry I should have said that most Phil&Teds main seats have a 20kg capacity. But do look at them all carefully when in newborn mode and try your son on the doubles kit on top as some P&Ts doubles kits seats are smaller or have bars at the back. I know I wouldn't recommend the Dash for example but the Explorer or Hammerhead could be fine. Consider a reclining lower seat for the baby too.

Anniebojangles Mon 13-Jun-11 22:21:27

Thanks for that. That's really helpful. I'll go and check them out on the internet now.

Guildfordnanny Tue 14-Jun-11 11:15:32

Annie, just to add if you can manage short term ie the first six months, long term a sit and stand like the Joovy cabooses, sit 'n stand or Chipolinio (sp!) Euphoria may be worth bearing in mind. I was researching them yesterday and they seem to be good for an older child. Some take car seats too.

ThatllDoPig Tue 14-Jun-11 11:24:04

Nipper 360 is really fab. I love mine. Can get through nearly all doorways. Really easy to push, great storage. Would recommened to everyone.
I think it comes down to personal preference though. I knew I wouldn't get a p and t, as I just prefer the side to side ones, more sociable somehow for the dc's. Good luck choosing, and yes, agree that you will def need a double with a two year old.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: