Talk

Advanced search

shutters: do they make a room darker?

(20 Posts)
vannah Wed 09-Jun-10 21:49:40

hi,
we have bay windows in a 1930s semi, plenty of light coming in at the moment as we only have curtains.

I want roller blinds but DH wants plantation style shutters, Im worried they are too bulky and although we'll paint them white - wondering if they will block some light even when the slats are open?

any advice appreciated thanks

Sonilaa Thu 10-Jun-10 08:25:42

I thought that*s the whole point

Sonilaa Thu 10-Jun-10 08:31:10

sorry, could not resist
I think they let in more light than blinds because the slits are bigger.

MrsMagnolia Thu 10-Jun-10 11:34:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

reup Thu 10-Jun-10 11:37:12

I have solid shutters and they are great at shutting out the light. I also have wooden ventiatians elsehwere and they are crap at shutting out light. I ended up getting blackout blinds too as it was the babies room. Not sure about plantations though! A pain to keep clean though if they are like venetians

minko Thu 10-Jun-10 11:41:29

We viewed a house (to buy) recently which had plantation shutters in every room and it put me right off. It felt like bars on the window and made the house feel very gloomy and a bit claustrophobic. I know they're very stylish and everything but having seen that house I have been put off.

minipie Thu 10-Jun-10 11:56:13

I'd say they definitely block quite a bit of the light, even when the slats are open.

But you can fold them back against the wall if you don't want to block any light.

Roller blinds will also block light though if you have them down, unless they are very very sheer (in which case is there any point in having them...)

DastardlyandSmugly Thu 10-Jun-10 12:18:26

I have plantation shutters and they are great as they let in as much or as little light as you want depending on the angle at which you have them.

thighsmadeofcheddar Thu 10-Jun-10 12:21:52

Oh I want some in my new house. Are they expensive?

DastardlyandSmugly Thu 10-Jun-10 13:21:08

For the two windows in my bedroom they were about £750 from The New England Shutter Company. I think you can get them cheaper elsewhere.

TheChicOfIt Thu 10-Jun-10 13:23:55

We've got them in the kitchen and they definitely block out a lot of light, so much so that we either have them fully opened(like a door), or shut - when we just have the slats open it is way too dark.

I think you can get them in different slat widths though.

It cost us around £1500 for large window, small window and french doors.

Pannacotta Thu 10-Jun-10 13:55:13

The larger slat sizes let in more light when they are open, IMO they look more stylish too.
There are some good pics of various slat sizes on here
www.californiashutters.co.uk/Gallery/

vannah Sun 13-Jun-10 21:03:36

many thanks for these replies - very useful.
Looks like we are going for some wide wooden blinds in a creamish colour, theyre quite nice.

thankyou

nigelshutters Thu 16-Oct-14 16:52:46

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Brunhildafair Thu 16-Oct-14 20:51:43

I have plantation shutters throughout the whole house. Don't regret it for a minute. Our house is south facing and the big front windows are divided in half. They are so versatile,you can adjust them to create shade if you want it,or open them up totally to let the light flood in. They are expensive to install,but good quality curtains made to measure can also be very costly. I also think that they are provide added security to the house.They also look very classy from outside. Go for it !!!

Laquitar Thu 16-Oct-14 21:32:12

I would like to put them on my windows not only because i like the look but also for the reason that Brun gave, they make the house feel safer imo.
My friend has them and they dont seem to block the light.

One day when i have money....

WetAugust Sat 18-Oct-14 00:16:19

got mine two weeks ago, one tall set for patio door and another for a window.

absolutely gorgeous

They don't interfere too much with the light, they make the place more secure as you cannot see into the room from outside when they are closed and they also keep the room much warmer too by keeping out draughts.

I wish I'd got them years ago.

Apatite1 Sat 18-Oct-14 14:37:16

I'm v keen to get these for our upstairs bedrooms can anyone recommend their company? Many thanks!

WetAugust Sat 18-Oct-14 16:03:01

Mine was a small local company.

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now