Talk

Advanced search

Replacing Hallway Flooring: Wood or Tiles?

(8 Posts)
Milliways Wed 17-Feb-10 17:38:01

We had our car torched last week, and the police etc have ruined the hall carpet by treading in the oil/soot/mud mix from the garden. We are getting it cleaned but it has brought to a head our need to replace said carpet with something easy to clean (we have dog/cat/teenagers etc).

It is 28' long by 3.5' wide, and we have seen one slate effect tile we like with a good non slippy surface, and also a solid wood oak panel flooring - at about twice the price.

With a dog running up & down with claws etc - what would you recommend. Are tiles harder wearing? Are they very cold? DOes wood mark easily?

Help please

cassell Wed 17-Feb-10 18:16:56

We have wood in our hallway (original floorboards, sanded & waxed with a hard wearing finish), not at all slippy and easy to clean - but modern wood flooring is, imo, often a bit slippery and the finish can be quite easily damaged with heels etc (although is easy to clean). The tiles will be easy to clean but could be a bit cold as you say though we have slate effect in our bathroom and they're fine. Depends really on what look you're going for...

nbee84 Wed 17-Feb-10 18:22:07

I have polished porcelain tiles through my downstairs. They look as if they will be slippery but are not. They are very easy to sweep/clean but are cold underfoot. Not something that worried us particularly as we are all slipper wearers. Electric underfloor heating is fairly cheap and easy to install but I believe the running costs are not so good.

Milliways Wed 17-Feb-10 18:33:55

We wear slippers too - and it IS only the hall. APart from Kitchen/Bathroom everywhere else is carpetted.

Maybe the tiles would be easier to keep - they ARE cheaper, but I think cost more to lay.

Oh, decisions, decisions.

(Just wish you could borrow a HUGE sample to lay up the hall

RubysReturn Wed 17-Feb-10 18:36:06

Tiles. Almost indestructible. Look fab. We have tiled all downstairs after doing hall.

mjinhiding Wed 17-Feb-10 18:36:08

Message withdrawn

Milliways Wed 17-Feb-10 18:48:51

Tiles are winning the votes then!

Thanks everyone

SLFWP Mon 01-Feb-16 06:50:33

What did you go for in the end??! Any photos?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now