Talk

Advanced search

3 floor house - where the kids sleep?

(12 Posts)
Finn77 Sun 08-Nov-09 20:54:34

I have a bit of a dilemma. We have a 3 storey house, 3 beds on ground floor (one en-suite eventually for guests), living spaces on the first floor and two bedrooms on the top floor, one of these en suite. I have 3 dcs, dd1 9, dd2 5 and ds1 2.5. How do I arrange everyone, its driving me mad. At the moment we are all on the ground floor (dd2 and ds1 sharing), but the main bedroom for myself and dh was always meant to be on the top. I am considering a state of the art monitor for the kids, and we already have a very big dog on the ground floor who has supersonic hearing (rural location), however, I am still feeling a bit worried about the distance...help please anyone with three storey or more layouts...

oooggs Sun 08-Nov-09 21:06:31

We have 3 floors and bedrooms on each floor, dh and I are on the ground floor, ds3 (9 mths) and dd (2.6) have a bedroom each on the middle floor and ds1 (5.11) and ds2 (2.6) have a bedroom each on the top floor.

I can hear them all - but I can understand the worry of not being able to. It works for us and I am sure many would disagree.

FimboFortunaFeet Sun 08-Nov-09 21:07:40

I live in a three storey new build, but the layout is different to you and being new build the walls are paper thin. I doubt I am going to be much use to you, but this is the arrangement of our house.

Grd Flr - kitchen, playroom, cloakroom, lounge

2nd Flr - main bathroom, single bedroom, double bedroom, main bedroom with ensuite (where we are).

3rd Flr - shower room, bedroom (ds), bedroom (dd).

I like this arrangement, I can hear dd moving around, even when we are in the lounge which is two floors below her! Ds is loud anyway and if there was something wrong with him, we would know quite quickly. Also in the event that (touch wood) we ever got burgled hopefully dh and I would hear them first.

We were away in London over half term in another 3 storey property where 2 bedrooms were on the ground floor with a loo, lounge, kitchen were in the middle and then another 2 bedrooms on the top, this was an older property and I really didn't like the dc being on the ground so close to the front door and I felt like we were miles away from them as there was a floor inbetween us.

Could you have your elder dd on the ground floor and you on the top? Not so keen on it myself, but really can't see any other options for you.

Hulababy Sun 08-Nov-09 21:11:15

We have a 3 storey but a different layout to op:

Ground floor - cloakroom, utility room, garage and garden room (used as dining room)

First floor - kitchen, living room

Second floor - 3 bedrooms, ensuite, family bathroom.

So, we all sleep on the same floor.

I am trying to persuade DD that going up into the loft is a good idea, making it 4 stories, and having a master suite upstairs, with DD on floor below us.

Hulababy Sun 08-Nov-09 21:11:37

It s DH I am trying to persuade.

Finn77 Sun 08-Nov-09 21:51:10

Wow, its great to hear i'm not the only one with three or more floors so quickly! I'm reassured by Ooogs layout..sounds good...it seems that if I mention the layout to parents or anyone who lives in a 2 storey or bungalow that I get questioned as to whether we are doing the right thing. My feeling at the moment is DD1, own room ground floor, DD2 and DS1 to continue to share for a while till she gets fed up of him on ground floor and eventually ds1 moves to top floor next to us. I think the burglar problem is just a tiny probability...more of an issue is if one isn't feeling well or has nightmares. The montiors are much better these days or so I hear anyway - does anybody feel the need to use one?

nymphadora Sun 08-Nov-09 21:58:06

We have 4 floors but sleeping is all on top 2 , we have dds above us which wasn't the best idea as they are so noisy!

JesusChristOtterStar Sun 08-Nov-09 22:05:33

nymphadora! i learned by past mistakes now we are 3 dcs on floor below (currently 4 as ds4 is sleeping better in spare room than his own) two (normally 3 ) dcs on top floor plus us! no scufflling overhead.

houses vary so much and from 6 or 7 years old they could effectively be up and about whilst you sleep so as long as they are safe and house secure i would not worry about the 'storey ness' of the house

oooggs Mon 09-Nov-09 20:04:51

Finn77 - to broaden the answer our houses layout is

_Ground Floor_
Double garage, cellar, study, master en suite (front door)
_middle floor_
2 bedrooms, family bathroom, lounge, dining room, kitchen & utility (back door as built into a hill)
_top floor_
2 bedroom and a shower room

We don't use monitors as I can hear them!

JesusChristOtterStar Mon 09-Nov-09 23:59:00

oogs like your profile - your life looks busy smile

Claire2009 Tue 10-Nov-09 00:03:02

My previous house was

Ground, Cellar, Basement, garage.
1st floor, Kitchen, lounge, dining room, utility, hall, and as the house was previously an old shop (in France) it had a shop entrance which was just slate flooring and the buggies lived there
2nd floor, 2 double bedrooms, 1 single bedroom and family bathroom.
top floor, 1 double bedroom, 1 single bedroom, open area with sofa and tv.

Kids (2) rooms were on 2nd floor. Myself and dp were on top floor

cheesesarnie Tue 10-Nov-09 00:03:10

ground floor we have-front room,kitchen,dining room,toilet

second floor-2 bedrooms and bathroom

third floor-my lovely bedroom and en suite-my sanctuary!

i dont use monitor at night as can hear them(and in mornings grr)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now