Talk

Advanced search

Can you ammend your plans at start of extension

(9 Posts)
nappyzonecantrunfortoffee Sun 08-Nov-09 19:38:38

Basically were starting a double storey extension on wed and last ngiht dh had this bright idea to move the utility and toilet into the new downstairs long sun room we will gain on the ground floor with a view to later knocking kitchen through to utility to make a big kitchen but thus still having a utility room and down stairs loo (so we can still hide my ironinig mountain). It easy enough to do i think as moving it back to the next room out so it remains at back of house and knocking up a partition wall in my now not so long sun room thingy. It wont affect outside look of the new extension but to ammend plans when already got permission do we still need to inform and seek council planning permission or as internal can we just crack on do you think? With it being building week so to speak.... (yes i could royally crack dh for this as now i have a doubt in my head where previously there was not one). He is basically on abotu it now as builder if comes back to do this in the future as we planned in a few years when we have enough cash for a complete new kitchen he is worried he will have to dig out floor etc.. to fit loo waste fittings etc to drains or as going to an external wall anyway would it not matter. Any useful advice from someoen who has ammended ideas after sought planning permission would be great smile

whomovedmychocolatecookie Mon 09-Nov-09 05:46:11

Yes you do need to seek an amendment. Won't take long to get a decision and you probably won't have to pay anything. Just call them and they will tell you what to do. We did something similar and it took 48 hours to get an amended planning consent and that was for a listed building!!!

whomovedmychocolatecookie Mon 09-Nov-09 05:46:55

You won't pass building control btw if you just go ahead without permission and any insurance etc you have on the building will not be valid in the event of a claim.

nappyzonecantrunfortoffee Mon 09-Nov-09 08:08:24

thanks chocolate lady i will give them a bell today - i had no intntion of carrying out the leg work to dh's inconvenient leg work but having spent last night on a kitchen planning website i have kinds gotten sucked in now blush. Thats what i thougt regs wise as for gettign it signed of at completin - the other option of course is to do it after its signed off without telling em but im a right fanny when it comes to being naughty! grin

nappyzonecantrunfortoffee Mon 09-Nov-09 08:09:56

yeah so that post made bugger all sense - i mean i had no intention of doing leg work for dh's inconvenient brain wave but now im sucked in. grin

whomovedmychocolatecookie Mon 09-Nov-09 09:15:55

Actually I've been up since 2am - it made complete sense hmm grin

nappyzonecantrunfortoffee Mon 09-Nov-09 12:50:28

i did wonder why you were posting so early! alas i have rang planning and need to submit a free slight ammendment, friendly plan man happy to draw up a slightly ammended new plan and builder coming out tomorow night to advise on price difference which im hoping will be minimul (it wont be happening if its not) - changing window into door (ok its an original external wall but hey ho), this will save him buying a nice timber window we had quoted in and now he just needs a nice timber frame a nd cheapo b and q door, also work required is to put up a 3m stud wall thingy in the new big downstairs room to make the new utility room and toilet and a bit of plumbing to move the cloakroom and plumbing for washer and a few plugs - hmmmm hoping £50 will cover it grin

I have spent the morning in my wellies in our very muddy garden with a toddler holding a tape measure measuring if my room will still be big enough and then proceeded to go round tapping walls as if i know what im doing grin - stressed me??? no way!

whomovedmychocolatecookie Mon 09-Nov-09 21:51:18

LOL - it'll get worse but then it'll get better. If I may offer some advice - go out and buy some boxes and put all your stuff in them and seal them with tape, the brick dust will get everywhere and even months later you will find little piles. I got a bottle of cognac out of a cupboard which has not been opened for two years and we had a building project next door and it had a small pile of dust on top of it the same colour as our house stones!!!!

nappyzonecantrunfortoffee Tue 10-Nov-09 12:57:12

the knock through will be after xmas i think so i will start collecting boxes now. I am having a mega throw out today although now have a mountain on the bed of stuff to ebay!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now