Talk

Advanced search

please help me arrange my sitting room

(19 Posts)
jetforkesandbonfires Wed 04-Nov-09 20:15:11

I have posted a rather crude layout of my sitting room on my profile. As you can hopefully see, i dont have any longish walls to put a sofa against. I am thinking of 2 x 2 1/2 seaters, but can only think of where to put a corner sofa.

A couple of points - tele is now on wall above fire, and tall bookcase now where tele was. The strange looking thing in the alcove by the door is supposed to be a sideboardblush

The scribbling next to the door (coming in from hallway) is supposed to show a recessed wall, which has a huge radiator all the way along. I was thinking of a radiator cover for there, but not sure.

Any opinions please??

KnickKnack Wed 04-Nov-09 20:17:45

the picture hasn't appeared on your profile/

jetforkesandbonfires Wed 04-Nov-09 20:19:04

bloomin eck - that was quick! was just putting it on lol!

KnickKnack Wed 04-Nov-09 20:29:23

whats that at the top of the picture? or is it "just writing/notes" and not part of the room?

I would probably go for 2 two seaters...I assume the room is quite small? otherwise a 2 seat on the left wall, and a 3 seat on the north wall.

you could post some photos from a couple of different angles too? grin

Iggi999 Wed 04-Nov-09 20:29:51

My brain is hurting from trying to interpret the picture! Why does the sofa look so much shorter than the (upper) wall?
When you get this sorted, will you come round and do mine?

jetforkesandbonfires Wed 04-Nov-09 21:08:56

lol iggigrin

the writing at the top of the pic, just my notes really - thinking of putting a folding table in the bay, as only got small kitchen table in table.

errrm, which is the north wallblush

The only space i can find for a 3 seater is on the left wall, opposite the fire. That only measures 2m though, so it would have to be a small sofa.

Iggi - i think i know what you mean - if i have a corner sofa placed where it is now, one side of it comes right infront of the bay window - so there is no actual wall there (god i am crap at explainingblush) and the sofa therefore has nothing to lean against. As it is a small room, i worry that it will look daft stuck in the middle of the roomhmm

havent got a digi camera, so cant put any proper pics onsad

Iggi999 Wed 04-Nov-09 21:13:31

Ah, didn't spot that was a bay window. I wouldn't block that off with sofa, they are v.handy for a table (got one myself) as you have suggested. Sofas don't have to lean against anything though, I have a 3 seater against a wall/bookcase, and a two seater that floats in middle of room opposite it.
Have you tried giant cut outs of ave sofa sizes and moving them around? Some of those sofas I see on tv ads are massive, there's no need for that unless you're the Waltons IMO.

jetforkesandbonfires Wed 04-Nov-09 21:31:55

def not the waltons, but do like to snuggle with kids on sofagrin

WIll try the cut out option, ta

lalalonglegs Wed 04-Nov-09 21:44:30

Why not stick with a corner sofa? It seems by far the most practical solution for the room.

jetforkesandbonfires Wed 04-Nov-09 21:57:13

thanks lala. I think the only reason i am doubting it is that it will have to overlap the bay window a little - prob only by a foot or so - just worried it will look stupid!

It is a fair sized room, just very awkwardly laid out, with no long wallssad

noddyholder Wed 04-Nov-09 21:59:10

Is the drawing accurate scale wise as the bay looks deep!

jetforkesandbonfires Wed 04-Nov-09 22:11:38

not to scale noddy - am not that good lol! It is a big bay though, each window is 4ft wide, depth of bay is 4ft, and width of bay area is 8ft narrowing to 4ft.

noddyholder Thu 05-Nov-09 07:53:04

I think I would stick with a corner sofa.If it was my room I would move the sideboard to the bay with a huge vase of lilies on it.(or put small occasional dining table if you need it)Then I would put the bookcase where the sideboard was.Then bring the corner sofa forward and have it 'around' the fire and put a small lovely chair in the alcove to balance it.Then I would put either a huge mirror or artwork on the wall to the left of the door.If its a period house get a lovely radiator rather than a cover HTH It is difficult without dimensions

noddyholder Thu 05-Nov-09 07:54:41

Sorry I thought the door was by the corner sofa!So my idea prob makes no sense!

jetforkesandbonfires Thu 05-Nov-09 08:09:52

thanks noddy. sideboard wont fit in bay, at least not next to the window.

I thought it would get too confusing with dimensions, eg trying to explain which wall is which!

But, i guess at least for where the corner sofa is on pic would help. The wall at right angle to window wall, measured from door to kitchen to window wall is 2m. Then the little bit of wall leading up to the bay is 1m.

Radiator wall is 2m, and i have tried putting the small sofa i have now on that wall, and while it fits, it does mean getting into the kitchen is a bit awkward.

So, thanks for all your thoughts - i guess i will stick with a corner sofa, plus maybe a single chair.

Iggi999 Thu 05-Nov-09 19:32:49

Don't take advice from me, I've got a bed for DS arriving tomorrow and (having moved the furniture around to make space for the be) have just realised it will not fit.. [oh bugger emoticon]

jetforkesandbonfires Thu 05-Nov-09 19:50:55

oh Iggi - nightmare!

Iggi999 Thu 05-Nov-09 20:00:36

If I unscrew some shelves attached to the wall I can get a few extra inches, I think - will just wait till it comes and shove it in somehow! (on another thread this would sound rude)

jetforkesandbonfires Fri 06-Nov-09 15:19:45

lol - how about the bumsex threadgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now