Talk

Advanced search

Wetroom or shower?

(17 Posts)
lowrib Wed 04-Nov-09 17:21:59

Just wondered if anyone could help with this ... would you choose a wetroom or a shower?

Does anyone have any experience of wetrooms? Are they hard to maintain?

Would you prefer a wetroom or a shower (with toilet too) in a really small room?

TIA grin

HouseHuntingNoMore Wed 04-Nov-09 19:37:59

Personally I would prefer a shower b/c I wouldn't like walking on a wet floor when going in to use the toilet. HTH

fannybanjo Wed 04-Nov-09 19:52:53

Have had experience of a wetroom and I wouldn't have one again. You feel very very cold. In our last house we had this shower enclosure, it was pricey but was so worth it, it looked amazing. A wetroom is great if you have the TINIEST en-suite/bathroom in the world and cannot fit a shower enclosure in but never again would I go down the wet room route, you don't enjoy a shower in them whatsoever and they are a NIGHTMARE with children.

AMumInScotland Wed 04-Nov-09 20:19:07

My favourite is to have a big shower cubicle which you don't need a door for, in a normal bathroom.

But if you can only fit a tiny shower cubicle in the room, then I guess a wetroom would be more pleasant to use.

Our old shower-room managed to get a shower cubicle, loo and tiny basin into the tiniest space you can imagine, but the cubicle needed a folding door and was tiny so you always ended up with your butt against a cold wall.

Wetrooms have lots of downsides too, but I think better than a tiny shower cubicle.

lowrib Thu 05-Nov-09 01:21:55

Thanks for your replies.I'm still in two minds!

HouseHuntingNoMore "I wouldn't like walking on a wet floor when going in to use the toilet" As it is the main toilet that definitely is a concern.

fannybanjo all the things you said are concerns too. Especially about being cold. What kind of heating did you have in yours? These kinds of worries are putting us off, but ...

AMumInScotland "Wetrooms have lots of downsides too, but I think better than a tiny shower cubicle." Exactly! Now I've come full circle and it seems like a great idea again.

Hmm, much to ponder....

GrendelsMum Thu 05-Nov-09 08:38:40

Do you really need the shower? There's a point at which shower rooms, wet or otherwise, get so small that I think everyone in the house tries to avoid using them.

fannybanjo Thu 05-Nov-09 09:07:00

WE had underfloor heating and a large towel radiator thingy. It wasn't that the room wasn't warm, it was, it was the fact I felt so exposed. Didn't seem right iykwim? Needed a steamed up door! What size is your shower room?

lowrib Fri 06-Nov-09 22:17:31

GrendelsMum "Do you really need the shower?" Family politics (the details of which I won't bore you with) dictate that we do need a shower.

fannybanjo it's pretty small. At the moment it has a toilet, basin and small shower cubicle. There's no room at all for anything else.

lowrib Fri 06-Nov-09 22:18:32

fannybanjo that walk in thing looks brilliant, what a great idea. I just wonder if it would fit <<off to find tape measure>>

Singed Fri 06-Nov-09 22:26:37

Bear in mind that wetrooms need to be sealed, tiled, the drainage may be different to a normal bathroom. This can be tricky in an upstairs bathroom.

saltyseadog Fri 06-Nov-09 22:26:58

We had a wetroom in our last house and though that it was fantastic. I'd choose it over any shower cublicle any day.

We did have the room insulated properly though, so it was majorly warm which helped.

I loathe shower cubicles (well, small ones anyway).

GinandChocolate Fri 06-Nov-09 22:33:34

Had wet room in last house - was great and we avoided problems with wet floor by fitting a heavy glass panel between loo and shower. Would definitely make sure you have underfloor heating though.

lowrib Fri 06-Nov-09 23:22:48

Oh brilliant, some votes for a wetroom. So it's not a totally crazy idea then!

GrendelsMum Sat 07-Nov-09 09:48:00

Yes, but the problem is that wetrooms get wet - so if one person uses it for a shower, the next person who walks into it to use the loo gets wet.

Also, how are you goingto avoid the loo paper getting wet? And the loo seat?

almostreal Sat 07-Nov-09 12:48:58

IME Wet rooms are great but need underfloor heating ( a completely titled room can be very cold plus it will dry out faster) and the design of the room allowing the toilet to be placed out of splash zone or at least have a panel or wall placed by or around the toilet.

hellsbelles Sat 07-Nov-09 12:56:16

WE have a wet room (it was in place when we bought it). Almostreal is right - you do have to have underfloor heating (which is very expensive for us is they installed electric!)

Also it drives me mad having to do a quick mop up after every shower as I'm always worried about DC's slipping and sliding

Personally I wouldn't have one again. It does look amazing and everyone ohs and ahhs when they see the room (and it did make an impact on us when we were deciding to buy) - but I would much rather have a walk in shower enclosure bit - which would give the same visual impact without the faff of mopping.

saltyseadog Sat 07-Nov-09 14:30:13

We had a non-slip floor installed, rather than flashy tiles (although flashy tiles much easier on the eye).

I guess it depends on the size of the space; our wet room was small bathroom size and we never had the loo or sink sprayed from someone having had a shower.

I heart wet rooms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now