Talk

Advanced search

What would atract you to/put you off a bathroom?

(13 Posts)
GypsyMay Wed 04-Nov-09 12:57:53

We are about to install a new bathroom but hope we may move in the new year so I want it to be a selling point and certainly not a negative for anyone.

It is a small room which means we have to have a slightly smaller than standard bath (160cm instead of 170cm).

I'm currently thinking plain white suite and tiles, not sure about floor. Wall hung loo and basin to keep the floor uncluttered.

Over bath shower with the kind of shower head that goes up and down on a rail.

Curtain not shower screen as its easier to push out of the way for bathing children but gives plenty of protection when required (am worried this might look a bit cheap).

Chrome radiator/shower rail.

Chrome mirrored cabinet.

Would you find this attractive or disappointing? Should mention this is the only bathroom in a 4 bed house, there is also a downstairs loo.

GM

ib Wed 04-Nov-09 13:06:12

The main thing for me in a small bathroom which is the only in the house is that there should be enough storage so that there isn't clutter all over the place - otherwise no matter how nice it is it will always look terrible imo.

Sagacious Wed 04-Nov-09 13:07:39

TBH the only thing I really hate in bathrooms are shower curtains.

I just think they're unhygenic (and don't get me started on hotel bathrooms with them in)

Everything else sounds fab but I'd personally get a folding shower screen (we have a tri fold one from B and Q)

Carrotfly Wed 04-Nov-09 13:12:18

Agree with the curtain thing looking manky even if it isn't !

You can get some screens that move away so you can get access to the bath. OK, they are a bit wobbly in comparison to a more substantial fixed one, but I'd much rather that than a curtain.

White good, Chrome good, Wall hung good.

Would also prefer a single tap having now got one and much prefer it to the old fashioned 2 tap business.

Also hate carpet on the floor in the bathroom. That would have to go.

LIZS Wed 04-Nov-09 13:12:30

Sounds liek we did before selling but I'd go for a screen not curtain, most can be hinged for access, and full height tiling. Vinyl non slip flooring is practical, inexpensive and not cold to touch. Also you can use that to add some colour which you can highlight in towels.

GypsyMay Wed 04-Nov-09 13:15:06

Thanks IB,

I was wondering about storage. It's a really small room so at the moment we have only a wall hung cabinet for small items and some shelves in the window recess which holds shampoos etc that we are currently using, which I admit do not look attractive. I'm assuming you would consider this inadequate?

If I gave up my wall hung idea I could have a cupboard under the basin for loo rolls etc but I don't think it would add a tremendous amount, would that make the bathroom more sellable to you? Possibly another cupboard over the loo cistern would be possible (all fitted if you see what I mean?)

MrsBadger Wed 04-Nov-09 13:21:14

yes get a mixer tap

re storage you just need to con the buyer into thinking there is space for all their stuff, so put away all toys, soap, shampoos etc before viewings and put out two gorgeous colour co-ordinated bottles from Neal's Yard or somewhere that you have bougth specially

do not put a cupboard under the sink, wall hung much better in small space

GypsyMay Wed 04-Nov-09 13:21:35

Wow you lot are great, I can't keep up!

There seems to be consensus so far on no curtain. My only concern about the folding screen was that it doesn't reach very far along the bath, our current shower is quite powerful and would probably spray beyond it but perhaps with a more adjustable one it would be OK, or maybe I can find a better screen.

So far:

no curtain

single tap

storage

vinyl non slip floor

Thanks

notamumyetbutoneday Wed 04-Nov-09 13:23:35

We like you have a small bathroom and found that having a folding shower screen (B & Q) has really helped and also an undersink cupboard. It means all the toiletries are out of sight which is a plus point.

I personally think an undersink cupboard rather than wall cupboard would give the illusion of more space and also allow you to fit more in (I think wall cabinets are only quite small?)

notamumyetbutoneday Wed 04-Nov-09 13:24:23

Yep agree that the showe screen doesnt reach as far as the shower so we just put a towel down on the floor (nice).

ib Wed 04-Nov-09 13:26:23

TBH I very much doubt I'd think it through too carefully - I just know that if I was viewing and I saw a bathroom with a lot of clutter in it that would put me off, and then I'd think about the storage issue and how that would be a problem.

If you manage to put enough storage that you can put your stuff away so the bathroom doesn't look cluttered I probably wouldn't think too much about it.

When I had a really tiny shower room with no storage space I put a really huge wall cabinet that ran across the sink and over the toilet iyswim. It was mirrored as well which made the room look much larger - made an enormous difference. If you are having a wall hung toilet that might work. Or even just a decent sized wall hung unit over the toilet...

Or, in the worst of cases, just clear everything out before any viewings wink!

GypsyMay Wed 04-Nov-09 13:37:18

Thanks so much. Conclusion seems to be have a shower screen and hide the clutter!

jasper Wed 04-Nov-09 20:02:08

I an not keen on undersink storage.

You can get a big wall cabinet that is basically all mirror on the outside and only about 8cm deep so it does not stick too far into the room. V popular in USA and Canada

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now