Advanced search

Building Regs for a Conservatory built in 2002

(11 Posts)
HouseHuntingNoMore Tue 03-Nov-09 13:33:17

We are in the midst of purchasing a house & received the Property Information Form - on it it states a conservatory (22' x 10'5") was added to the house in 2002 but states that it does not have Building Regs approval. Our solicitor has asked them to supply a copy of Planning Permission, Building Regulations & Completions certificate for the conservatory or the letter from Council confirming that no planning permission was required. If they come back & say they do not have such a letter what will happen? Is it something to worry about?

LIZS Tue 03-Nov-09 15:58:08

You can ask them to provide Indemnity Insurance or apply retrospectively for a Certificate of Lawfulness. The first option won't slow things down, the second might.

HouseHuntingNoMore Tue 03-Nov-09 20:43:30

Thank you v.much LIZS

AlaskaNebraska Tue 03-Nov-09 20:44:11

do oyu need building regs?

eggshapedbanana Tue 03-Nov-09 21:14:10

As far as I am aware you don't need planning permission for a conservatory. We had one built in 2004 and were told that as long as you don't remove the doors from the house to the patio it is not considered a permanent structure. We have nothing from the council to prove this but believe that it is definitely the case.

mummygogo Tue 03-Nov-09 21:21:01

It will depends on the size and the planning restrictions in your area. Indemnity insurance will cover you if the planning authority take enforcement for breach of building regs but not if it is just defective so is of limited use. Ideally you need confirmation from the council whether it required planning and building regs. The seller should of course have checked this out when they did it

LIZS Tue 03-Nov-09 21:33:08

It may not have needed them at the time but if they check with the council and are told they should have, they cannot then get an indemnity policy against enforcement. Very unlikely after so long though unless it is very dubvious and beyond current regulations.

elsiepiddock Wed 04-Nov-09 13:20:37

Conservatories are exempt from the BRegs if under 30m2 in floor area and external quality doors are put between house and conservatory.

Can only speak for my authority (am a building control officer) - but you could still apply for an exempt building certificate (we charge £50).

HouseHuntingNoMore Wed 04-Nov-09 14:30:45

There are glazed bevelled (whatever that means!) double doors to the conservatory - would these suffice? Thanks

HouseHuntingNoMore Wed 04-Nov-09 14:33:58

And does anyone know what 22' x 10'5" is in m2? I was never good at maths shock

LIZS Wed 04-Nov-09 17:02:57

about 21m2.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now