Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What colour for my front door?

(21 Posts)
Rolf Mon 02-Nov-09 17:10:59

We're having our front door painted. It's currently red, but a rather horrible red. The reds on the decorator's paint chart (Leyland) aren't v nice. We'd like a bright, cheerful red that will look good with brass door furniture. Can anyone recommend one? Or another colour that they love? It's a north-facing Victorian house.

There's a stunning purple door near us, with brass fittings. It really stands out and looks smart and unique!

What colour are your neighbour's doors?

dexter73 Mon 02-Nov-09 17:15:17

I was going to suggest purple as I walk past a house with a purple front door on the way to town and it looks great!

bigTillyMint Mon 02-Nov-09 17:17:45

Ours has just been repainted racing green to go with the stained glass, but some more modern Victorian houses round our way favour duck-egg blue.

Rolf Mon 02-Nov-09 17:21:55

Does it not look as though Winnie the Witch or some other magical person lives there? There's a house near us which has a lovely sage green door but I don't think it would work on our house.

Lots of our neighbours have blue doors which are nice but we aren't keen on blue. There is a gloopy forest green one opposite which we don't like at all. The black ones on our road look good but we'd like something more cheerful.

brimfull Mon 02-Nov-09 17:22:49

white?

eyetunes Mon 02-Nov-09 17:22:52

We have been a letterbox red before now, and at present we are oxford blue.

Pannacotta Mon 02-Nov-09 17:28:03

Farrow and Ball Pelt is very smart, its a very dark plum/purple.
Or black.

GrendelsMum Mon 02-Nov-09 18:40:56

Black always looks glam, and you could have some plants in colourful pots either side to liven it up?

Rolf Mon 02-Nov-09 18:54:36

Has anyone used incarnadine?

It's a lovely Farrow & Ball red.

Rolf Mon 02-Nov-09 19:52:57

said Mon 02-Nov-09 19:54:17

I had a lovely red once. Just a Crown one - Fire Engine or something. Helpful.

Adair Wed 04-Nov-09 20:54:18

property.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/property/article6885366.ece

I would choose teal (my fave colour) though purple or hot pink appeal too (funny how trends work smile)

Feelingsensitive Wed 04-Nov-09 21:11:35

Mine is a lovely burgundy. Dont remember the paint provider.

Horton Fri 06-Nov-09 19:54:59

We have purple. It was Dulux colour mixing but I can't remember the exact colour.

dexter73 Sun 08-Nov-09 19:54:31

Have you decided yet?

Rolf Mon 09-Nov-09 15:02:40

I've just ordered F&B Incarnadine which is a red (link below). We're getting new door furniture too smile

MaggieMonday Mon 09-Nov-09 15:04:54

I like navy. A really dark navy that looks black after it starts to go dark.

MaggieMonday Mon 09-Nov-09 15:05:42

ps, if it's Victorian, go for that lovely sage bay green, don't know what it's called. Hang on.

Rolf Mon 09-Nov-09 19:41:54

Ooh, Maggie just when I thought I'd decided you name the two colours that could change my mind grin. Farrow & Ball do a lovely blue/black that I'm tempted by, and I've seen a few houses with smoky/grey/sage/green/blue doors that look gorgeous, although it's very much the look of the moment and could date.

MaggieMonday Tue 10-Nov-09 10:46:05

yes you're right, that would be my fear. Right now it looks fabulous and then who knows, pale dusty pink could be in in three years.

Navy black very classy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now