Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Landlord Problems - what to do??

(6 Posts)
Scottie22 Sun 25-Oct-09 20:41:26

Hi
Just wanted some advice from other renters really about how to deal with our landlord. We have had problems with our bathroom tap for a while now - it is 20 years old and keeps breaking. We now need to use pliers to turn it on and off. Landlord has 'repaired' it twice now but it is just knackered and needs replacing. We've let him know it's broken again about 3 days ago but he hasn't even responded to us about it.

How long do you leave it before reminding landlords about jobs that need doing? I don't want to get into an argument with him but I'm really fed up with it constantly breaking and his stinginess about it - should we offer to replace it and suggest taking it off our rent??

FiveGoMadonTheDanceFloor Sun 25-Oct-09 20:42:21

Do you rent from him or through an agent?

ABatDead Sun 25-Oct-09 20:46:08

Put it in writing to your landlord/agent that your tap is broken and the repairs have not worked.

Call the local council. Ask for their housing officer. Running water in your property is essential to mantaining life. Ask if they will send someone to inspect.

Scottie22 Sun 25-Oct-09 20:53:55

Thanks for your replies. We deal directly with him regarding repairs although had a tenancy agreement with an agent. Thanks for the advice regarding the council ABatDead - I think I will remind him again tomorrow and contact the council if it hasn't been sorted out in the next week or so.

dreamingofsun Thu 29-Oct-09 15:25:32

hi, i'm a landlord and have similar problem in my house recently. has he definately got your message - he might be away. in our area good plumbers take a few days to book - so he might not be being difficult. you sound as if you have running water elsewhere in the house, so contacting the housing office sounds a bit extreme at this stage - if you don't want to fall out with landlord.

Scottie22 Fri 30-Oct-09 20:30:47

Hi
Our landlord is a plumber!! No excuses there I'm sure you'll agree. As a good landlord I'm sure you would have at least acknowledged the problem even if not dealt with it as an emergency. My Mum is a landlady and wouldn't dream of leaving her tenants for 2 weeks with this problem - think he's only in it for his money and forgets it is our home sad

Thanks for your advice though...smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now