Talk

Advanced search

French doors are they worth it?

(9 Posts)
jimblejambles Sun 25-Oct-09 20:04:41

We are hopefully moving soon and dh wants to put french doors into the new dining room.
I was just wondering do they make a big difference to the light that comes into the room? And are they worth putting in?
Plus if anyone has had any fitted recently could they give me a rough idea of what sort of price I am looking at?
Tia

JeMeSouviens Sun 25-Oct-09 20:09:41

A friend did it to their terraced house. Windows out, french doors in, made a HUGE difference, and looked great. Don't know the cost though as it was part of a total refurb.

NancyBotwin Tue 27-Oct-09 08:42:52

The cost will depend on what material you use - PVC is probably the cheapest but I think it looks wrong for French Doors as the frames are too chunky. Wood or aluminium are more expensive. The cost will also depend on the size. I would get a couple of local companies (not big chains like Anglian) around to give you a quote - they should be able to give you prices for the different materials. I would reckon between £1-3k.

kitsmummy Tue 27-Oct-09 08:45:46

Definitely worth it, our wooden ones were from Wickes or somewhere similar and once painted look great in our period house. I imagine around £600 for doors like ours and then a grand or so for taking out window and fittng, it's really not a big job. I think £2k would cover it.

jeanjeannie Tue 27-Oct-09 08:53:34

HUGE difference. We've got them in the back of our small 30s house...and now the light reaches right to the otherside of the room. We've got wood - hard to say cost as DP is in the trade and did them himself but they were about £2k.

MrsJohnDeere Tue 27-Oct-09 09:01:15

WEe've got them at the end of the sitting room and in the kitchen. They are absolutely fantastic - bring so much light into what would otherwise be a very dark Victorian house.

No idea on cost. Ours were already here when me moved in.

somewhathorrified Tue 27-Oct-09 11:07:06

The cost is dependent on what's involved in the job. Does it need an RSJ? amount of demolition? would the floor need raising because of the DPC? Do you want custom/ made to measure doors or off the shelf? partially glazed or full glazed? It all makes a hell of a diffence on price.

Rafi Tue 27-Oct-09 11:08:24

It's not just the light issue though... a friend of mine has been burgled twice recently & on both occasions they broke the glass in her French doors sad

NoseyNooNoo Tue 27-Oct-09 12:47:17

Personally I love French windows and would highly recommend doin it.

As a pedant I would point out that the correct term is French window, not French door.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now