Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a company to install plantation blinds?

(16 Posts)
HeadFairy Thu 22-Oct-09 14:39:59

We're in east Surrey.....

Thanks

Sunshinemummified Thu 22-Oct-09 14:54:08

We used New England Shutter Company. They were really good. We're in South West London but I'm sure they can do them anywhere. We originally got them through John Lewis but went to them direct for the last lot.

HeadFairy Thu 22-Oct-09 15:07:17

Thanks... were they expensive? We've got a 2.12m wide window in our living room (with two smaller side panels of about 40cm each - it's a square bay window) and I want to put cafe style shutters on them (ie just lower half of the window)

Sunshinemummified Thu 22-Oct-09 15:13:24

In our bedroom we put cafe style shutters. We have two windows about 200cm wide and the shutters cost around £750.

HeadFairy Thu 22-Oct-09 15:29:41

Ouch, that's more than I thought, but then I suppose if you get some decent lined full length curtains for a window that sort of size it can easily come to more than that, so I guess I'll have to start saving!

Sunshinemummified Thu 22-Oct-09 15:42:55

It might be worth having a look at some other companies to see if you can find some cheaper but I was happy with NESC.

BicycleBelle Thu 22-Oct-09 23:14:36

We just used Shutterly Fabulous, based in Brighton, and are really delighted with their work. Stuck to their promises, delivered on time, very pleasant people. We paid around £500 for two windows, but obviously the price depends on the size of window. They also have a sister company that will make the shutters to your measurements and for you to fit, and its therefore cheaper. Their website is shutterlyfabulous.com

Doozle Thu 22-Oct-09 23:22:35

We also used Shutterly Fabulous and were very happy with them.

I don't recommend Hillarys as they were a nightmare.

bibbitybobbitycat Thu 22-Oct-09 23:24:58

Are you sure you want plantation blinds? They look all wrong on Victorian property imvho.

BicycleBelle Thu 22-Oct-09 23:26:27

Why? Shutters were very common in the Victorian era.

HeadFairy Fri 23-Oct-09 11:51:42

Thank, I'll check out shutterly fabulous too, if only because I really like their name

My sisters Vic house has plantation blinds and they look really nice. I can't stand nets of any sort, I could get some sheers I suppose, but they get so grubby so quickly when shutters just need a wipe down.

stakethroughtheheartofgold Fri 23-Oct-09 12:04:31

we have frosting film on our bottom halves as i don't like nets either. lets in loads of light and cheaper than shutters.

HeadFairy Fri 23-Oct-09 12:15:41

Did you have it properly applied? I've seen some that was all bubbly and a mess, but I've seen some people with very nice etched glass although that might be a bit permanent for us... I thought at least with shutters we can open them if we want them open.

stakethroughtheheartofgold Fri 23-Oct-09 12:46:50

obviously depends on your situation - we front onto the street with just a small yard so would never want to go without. i did the application which was a pita but i don't think i did too bad a job - the ones with designs all over are easier to remove the bubbles from than ones that are mostly plain fwiw.

DemonBradleySlaysPippi Fri 23-Oct-09 12:54:25

I was going to use Shutterly Fabulous too. They were fantastic. Didn't use them because we changed our mind as unfortunately shutters were not right for our house.

Sunshinemummified Fri 23-Oct-09 14:08:22

I have some of the film on some of our windows too and it looks really nice. Mine has designs in and was from Brume

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now