Talk

Advanced search

How can I create a ben 10 bedroom without it looking horrendously tacky?

(15 Posts)
sylar Tue 20-Oct-09 20:35:40

Or is it just best to go with it and drown in a sea of bright green tackiness?

CybilCeremony Tue 20-Oct-09 20:36:46

No, just get ben 10 duvet cover. he will ahve outgrown it in no time and you'll have to go back to square one.

sylar Tue 20-Oct-09 20:42:47

I so want him to want dinosaurs or planes or anything that might last slightly longer but all he wants is ben 10. he's never even seen the programme (he's only 4) - he's picked it all up from the playground and the argos catalogue!

grumpypants Tue 20-Oct-09 20:45:51

oh how weird. we just did this for ds(6 nrly 7). Black canvas and pine wardrobes and unit from ikea. One green wall, the rest are white. Duvet set (Ben 10) Black blind, black boxes from Ikea. Stickaround squares along the bed (Wilkinsons).

sylar Tue 20-Oct-09 20:52:25

Oh that sounds better grumpypants, I can cope with white, black and a bit of green. Does it lok sufficiently Ben 10?

Plus am rassured that your DS is nearly 7. That would indicate a good 3-4 years before we have to redo it.

ProfessorLaytonIsMyZombieSlave Tue 20-Oct-09 21:04:33

DS wants one, although I think I have fobbed him off.

Anyway, yes, I reckon go for a plain black/white/green scheme and then accessorise with duvet cover and whatever other tat objets d'art you can be talked into.

Ben 10 does seem to last -- I remember a friend's DS was into it about three years ago when my DS (now 4.9) was still quite young, and is still into it now.

sylar Tue 20-Oct-09 21:17:53

Ok have just found some big box canvas prints which would look ok on a plain white wall and are easily taken down when the phase passes and am thinking sheer bright green curtains with thick dark green velvet curtains on the outside (both ikea and cheap) plus full tacky duvet cover and £7.50 paper lantern lampshade. Undecided over a rug. Could go plain green again (although think carpet is blue from memory - new house)

ProfessorLaytonIsMyZombieSlave Tue 20-Oct-09 23:50:47

You could convince him that the blue carpet is water for the aquatic alien (Ripjaw? Riptide? Something like that) to swim around in, perhaps...

grumpypants Wed 21-Oct-09 19:04:10

It looks like Ben 10 might live there iyswim? Cool black and grren pad, easily removable tat. Good luck!

pagwatch Wed 21-Oct-09 19:15:24

its going to look like shit. the only question is how shit.
Just take comfort from the fact that often theygrow out of crap quite quickly and soon you have a 16 year old with white walls, blue carpet and some paintings he has done of the dog on the wall.
just embrace it. he will love it and time passes quickly.

pagwatch Wed 21-Oct-09 19:15:26

its going to look like shit. the only question is how shit.
Just take comfort from the fact that often theygrow out of crap quite quickly and soon you have a 16 year old with white walls, blue carpet and some paintings he has done of the dog on the wall.
just embrace it. he will love it and time passes quickly.

thrifty Wed 21-Oct-09 19:37:01

we've just done ds's (4) room ben 10. the room is off white/beige carpet. My mum made some ben 10 curtains from a duvet cover and we bought a matching duvet cover, bin, beanbag, fleece and nightlight/torch (he had some stuff for his birthday). we let him put some (removeable) stickarounds on the wall and hung a big ben 10 poster on the wall. It looks suitably ben 10. ds is happy with his ben 10 room and we can change it easily without repainting.

MacaroonIncident Wed 21-Oct-09 19:40:34

we alwyas have white bedroooms and plainish bedlinen
we have a HUGE ikea frame that has a picture in it that changed accoridign to crazes.

ds1 atm has this, for exaple
so it means you can adapt as you go.

for ben 10 id do that too

overmydeadbody Wed 21-Oct-09 19:43:05

I agree with macaroon, it is the only way to go.

As pagwatch said, it will look like shit.

Don;t waste money on things he will outgrow.

grumpypants Sat 24-Oct-09 18:46:17

well, finished mine today. One wall covered in stikarounds (8.99 and 5.99, wilkinsons) black and pine furniture, and black lampshade. painted a shelf silver. hope that helps and good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now