Talk

Advanced search

Where do you start packing your house?

(6 Posts)
jimblejambles Tue 20-Oct-09 16:55:09

I am at a complete loss on where to start. I have a 3 bedroom house with 2dc. What do I pack first? And what about toys etc?
We may have to put some stuff in storage if the people we are buying from don't find somewhere to move into.
I am so excited to have finally sold our house but stressing about packing all our crap stuff grin

lucykate Tue 20-Oct-09 17:01:54

when we moved three years ago, i started at the top and worked down, ie, in the loft. boxed up everything in there which created space for more boxes as we filled them. i boxed up all toys that weren't played with that often, leaving the most popular ones till just before moving. also reduced kitchen equipment down to a bare minimum, it's amazing what you don't miss once it's packed.

cat64 Tue 20-Oct-09 17:08:13

Message withdrawn

jackieOpaperLANTERN Tue 20-Oct-09 17:13:13

oh god. we are moving on SATURDAY shock

i have not packed.

<<looks around aimlessly at the chaos that is my house>>

TheHerbs Tue 20-Oct-09 17:26:34

Yes I started packing and unpacked etc several times in our old place. I never did feel quite at home there! hmm

What I did was start with things on shelves, ornaments, clutter. Sorting out as you go - unless you are pushed for time, in which case don't, as you will go mad - the hardest bit of packing is the decision making, so wait till you are there and do it - also stops you chucking out curtains that will fit a new window, etc etc.

Try to put things you won't need in boxes first. Things rarely used.
Label each box and stack in one place.

I got loads of flatpacked boxes from local pharmacy - they send them for recycling in big bundles and are happy to give you them usually instead.

Don't worry if things go in odd boxes, ie some ornaments with some old cassettes/videos, books etc. As long as they are same level of use, ie rarely, you'll be Ok to leave them unpacked for a while.

Obviously don't pack books all in one box, your removal men won't be able to lift the box. Pack kitchen stuff wrapped in aprons/teatowels etc, saves on newspaper...

that's all I can think of for now.

sylar Tue 20-Oct-09 20:33:36

First get a large slice of cheesecake and a glass of wine. Then sit there for an hour or so browsing on mumsnet trying to surpress the panic due to the house move on Friday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now