Talk

Advanced search

issues with solicitor

(2 Posts)
IHeartKittensAndWine Mon 19-Oct-09 18:19:59

Ok, this sounds like an AIBU, but really just looking for guidance as I've never bought property before so don't know what counts as "reasonable" conveyancing solicitor behaviour. Mine has just hung up on me! This follows weeks of absrasive phone conversations, failing to respond to emails/provide information requested. (Sorry can't be more specific - shouldn't really give details).

I appreciate that DH and I are asking A LOT of questions (about 20 so far - I am that anal I keep a running log!), some probably a lot less relevent than others and they don't have a single point of contact (ie sometimes I am in touch/responding, sometimes its DH) but surely that is par for the course with first time buyers. And if they are finding us frustrating, surely just telling us politely not to worry and either answering our question or telling us it's not under their remit to would be more effective!

TwinkleToes76 Mon 19-Oct-09 21:26:50

ooh, that's naughty! As a solicitor by profession (not conveyancing though) and as someone who is trying to buy a house at the moment, i think it is pretty unacceptable to do that to your client. I have only once had to hang up on a client (they were being abusive and were quite unwell and couldn't give me instructions). I warned them i was going to do it and why and then followed it up with a letter. Don't be afraid to tell them exactly how you feel about their treatment of you and what level of service you expect for your money and if it isn't resolved, go above their head to the complaints manager (this should be specified in your initial letter from the solicitor) and possibly ask for a different solicitor to handle your purchase.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now