Talk

Advanced search

reclaimed/replacement floorboards over concrete floor - anyone done it?

(6 Posts)
treacletart Sun 18-Oct-09 14:09:12

We're hoping to buy a 30's semi soon - Most of those we've seen are either carpeted or have laminate/replacement block floor. My ideal ground floor would have sanded/polished original floorboards, but if the house we eventually buy were to have a concrete floor, would we be able to put reclaimed/replacement floorboards in? Anyone done it? How much did it cost and do you know if we could put underfloor heating in at the same time? I'm desperate to add a bit of character to somewhere....

Pannacotta Mon 19-Oct-09 10:26:53

We did this in our last house and it worked fine. The builder sourced the boards and they looked great.
I can't remember the cost and we didn't put in underfloor heating, but a local flooring company should be able to advise you.

frankie3 Mon 19-Oct-09 18:41:52

I think that if you want to put underfloor heating in then you will need engineered wood as solid wood could warp.

Sibble Mon 19-Oct-09 18:48:52

We don't have underfloor heating but have put wooden floor over a concrete floor. No problem. Actually that was the royal we.........several men came for a few days and did it grin. I'm in Nz so can't comment on cost. If it's anything like ours be prepared to move out for a day or two. We had essentially all the living and kitchen areas done. All the furniture is obviously moved, you can't walk on them for a while or cook as cooking affects them before or during the sealing...........It was worth it though.

SCARYspicemonster Tue 20-Oct-09 17:25:36

I have just had engineered oak flooring laid in my bedroom and kitchen - it looks brilliant. I'm delighted. For the two rooms, the wood and all the underlay, 28m2, it cost £1300. Labour was difficult to calculate because I had a new kitchen fitted too and loads of redecorating too - but 2-3 days should do it. No idea about the underfloor heating though, sorry!

treacletart Tue 20-Oct-09 21:16:41

Cheers all really useful. Now, if someone can just find me a house to buy to put it in... I'm tearing my hair out trying to find somewhere!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now