Talk

Advanced search

Where to live an hour from London that's multicultural and green/pretty?

(9 Posts)
SilverSixpence Sat 17-Oct-09 19:19:04

Hi, we are thinking of making a move out of London within the next couple of years, but we'd like to live somewhere within an hour's commute of London, but not in a big town. I'd like somewhere green and quite friendly. We're from an Asian background and dont want DS to feel like the odd one out though! I like the sound of the villages around Guildford but am thinking Woking might be more multicultural although it doesnt sound as nice - any thoughts? And any alternative areas that might be good?

pagwatch Sat 17-Oct-09 19:32:52

Guildford and surrounding villges are lovely but pricey. Woking is less lovely but cheaper.
I live in the centre of Guildford and, like most city centres, it is more culturally mixed than surrounding villages/suburbs with huge numbers Europeans but relatively small Asian and Black population.
Woking again is much more culturally mixed but shops,schools and facilities less good.
I guess it depends on budget and personal preference.
Go and spend a day in both - both have train stations within walking distance of town and have decent parking smile

onemoretimetoday Sat 17-Oct-09 19:50:03

What about Northwood? Lots of green space, lovely houses, great schools but still on the tube and a good size asian community

SilverSixpence Sat 17-Oct-09 21:19:56

which Northwood is it? the one in Middlesex or somewhere else? how far is it to get into london?

onemoretimetoday Sun 18-Oct-09 09:34:44

The one in Middlesex, 28 mins to Baker Street on the tube and even quicker on the fast train from Moor Park.

HerHonesty Sun 18-Oct-09 19:23:10

woking is a hole.

we live in a very green village and i am from an asian background, and tbh, although i was worried about it at first, I have never felt the odd one out at all, so dont let it stop you considering places which you might think are too monocultured.

jeanjeannie Mon 19-Oct-09 09:33:26

High Wycombe. Very large Asian community and some parts (the outskirts of the town) very pretty. 40 mins into Marylebone. Prices are a bit ££ in the pretty parts though.

SugarSkyHigh Mon 19-Oct-09 09:37:52

What about Chesham?(in Bucks). Good links to London and with beautiful surrounding countryside (Chilterns). Seems to be a large multicultural community too, more than nearby Berkhamsted.

BicycleBelle Thu 22-Oct-09 23:22:31

Brighton, or village on outskirts. Brighton & Hove is very live and let live.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now