Talk

Advanced search

Tiles or tile-style laminate for kitchen./diner?

(6 Posts)
toja555 Fri 16-Oct-09 16:58:23

I have just moved into a house where we sanded pine floorboards that were already there – after sanding they still do not look nice and apparently became too thin, because I feel some movement when I walk. Not straight away, but I am starting saving money and considering putting another floor there. My options are:
1) tiles in the kitchen area and laminate in the dining area – more functional and more expensive
2) tile-style laminate throughout – cheap option, convenient, but maybe will look too cheap?

What do you think?

Heated Fri 16-Oct-09 21:06:55

Tiles in the kitchen do look nice.

Alternatively what about Amtico or Kardean?

Some heavy duty laminates with a woodgrain running through do look pretty authentic imo. My only question is are they hardwearing enough in the kitchen and do they cope with spillages?

LIZS Sat 17-Oct-09 11:09:44

I'd rather have tiles than wood (as we have at present) or laminate in the kitchen. Worth spending the extra I think. If it is one room I'd keep the finish the same.

BikeRunSki Sat 17-Oct-09 11:12:47

We have slate tiles, but if you have a weaning baby or toddler, then they are a bugger to keep clean. Didn't know I was PG when we put the kitchen in. Wish we'd gone for posh lino or Amtico - Mum has is, v harwearing and easy to clean.

EldonAve Sat 17-Oct-09 11:19:59

I'd do tile style lino (I know it's out of fashion)
We have tile in the kitchen and it's cold
Also a pain if you drop stuff

notasausage Sat 17-Oct-09 13:53:47

We have tile style laminate from B&Q and it looks smart. I'm not sure how long it will last though as we have an outside door onto the kitchen that we're constantly in and out of. It also doesn't cope well with knives being dropped - we've already taken a few chips out of it. It's easy to clean. Having said that, it's warmer underfoot that tiles and unless you usually wear shoes/slippers in your house I'd save some extra and put underfloor heating in - tiles can be painfully cold in winter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now