Talk

Advanced search

Size of guest room

(8 Posts)
HouseHunting Fri 16-Oct-09 14:08:32

We are hopefully moving into our new house in 6 weeks time.

The 4th bedroom is 8'8" x 8'0" & ideally we would like to use this room as a guest room, but I am wondering if it is too small for a double bed (4ft)? Maybe a futon would be better, but I would prefer a comfortable bed as the OAP in-laws would use this room the most. What do you think? Thanks

HouseHunting Fri 16-Oct-09 14:09:35

Also, once the bed is in would there be enough room for a tiny wardrobe or chest of drawers? I guess not unless the bed was pushed up againt a wall, which is not ideal for 60 something year olds...

neversaydie Fri 16-Oct-09 19:00:07

I would put up a shelf with some baskets to hold clothes, and some good solid hooks on the back of the door for hanging space. Then you don't lose any floor space.

The room is wide enough for a full-size double, although two singles pushed against opposite walls would make the room look more spacious. Don't buy a 4 foot bed unless your in-laws are both tiny, or you don't want them to be comfortable! (If you don't want them to stay too long, a futon will be perfect..)

If you do want them to be comfortable, try and find a bed that is not too low, they are much easier to get up from for elderly knees. Also, a bed side table and reading light each is nice!

Podrick Fri 16-Oct-09 19:10:35

Get bedside tables with draws - no wardrobe but put up a peg board to hang clothes.

MrsBadger Fri 16-Oct-09 19:31:02

I am mean and would consider putting one of the kids in there and using a bigger room as a guest double / study

putting 60yos on a futon is mean IMO

Podrick Fri 16-Oct-09 19:42:50

4ft bed is not very kind for couples imo - you could have twin beds though?

HouseHunting Fri 16-Oct-09 21:47:42

Thanks all. Bedroom 3 is 10'9" x 10'1" & I want my 2nd child (when we have him/her) to have that room as I do not think it would be fair when my 1st child has a mahoosive bedroom. Plus the guest room would only be used every couple of months or so. Thanks for all of the idea/suggestions I am still leaning towards a 4ft bed, I do get on with my MIL & FIL & they would not overstay their welcome. Thansk again

MrsBadger Sat 17-Oct-09 10:48:05

in thaqt case I might use the huge room as a guest room / study / playroom and put the kids in the two rooms of more equal size

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now