Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How often do you redecorate?

(9 Posts)
scarletlilybug Wed 14-Oct-09 14:07:45

I reckon a heavily-used room like a living room needs re-decorating every 2 -3 years. I don't necessarily mean new capets, curtains, the lot... but new wallpaper and/or a fresh coat of paint.

Dh thinks I'm mad, and that a room only needs redecorating every 10 years or so.

So who's right? (Obviously, if the MN consensus is that dh is right, I'll never mention this thread to him grin whreas if you tend to agree with me...).

eyetunes Wed 14-Oct-09 14:11:30

after a year our lounge needs a new lick of paint. We have very light coloured walls and no matter how careful we are, we always seem to scrape, or mark them.

10 years - wow! No chance here!

FABIsInTraining Wed 14-Oct-09 14:13:22

We have lived here for 8 years.

Lounge and dining room- At least 2 colours.
Kitchen - been painted 3 times.
Hall - 3 times.
Our bedroom - 3 times.
DS1's room - 3 times.
DD's room - twice.
DS2's room - twice.

LaurieFairyCake Wed 14-Oct-09 14:17:28

er....mine is covered in lovely laura ashley wallpaper but is painted wood up to dado height. So i have to touch that up occasionally but its been wallpapered for five years and looks totally fresh still.

also the cost would be prohibitive as it cost me 2000 to do the living room

SweetNiblets Wed 14-Oct-09 14:24:32

We have lived here for 5 years and have been constantly decorating. The whole house needed doing.

During that time we have finished all upstairs, converted the garage into a playroom, knocked a wall out between the living room and dining room, replaced the bathroom and added a conservatory.

At this moment in time we are currently redoing the kitchen. This is the final room and has been completely gutted.

DH seems to think he will get a rest after the kitchen has been completed but it will be time to redecorate the DCs bedrooms! grin

Lonicera Wed 14-Oct-09 14:26:04

About every five years on average

ShinyAndNew Wed 14-Oct-09 14:30:00

Well after redecorating a whole house all in one go and still not being finished, I can safely tell you that I am NEVER NEVER redecorating EVER again. Or moving.

So that would be never for me.

Although I will probably get bored after say 3/4 years, when I will have fortgotten what a truely horiffic experience redecorating is grin

AMumInScotland Wed 14-Oct-09 14:40:37

We've been in our house for 10 years now...

Some of the rooms still have the same decor as when we moved in, the others have been done once.

notagrannyyet Wed 14-Oct-09 14:52:43

Well we've started major redecoration. Apart from lick of paint to dining room (twice), and lounge(once) we have done no decorating for 10 years.

Older 3 DCs have left home so now we have to space to give our 3 tennage DS more grown up bedrooms. Two have smart teenage rooms now with new beds etc.. 12 year old still has spacemen and planets on his walls.We have promised him a new bedroom by Christmas so that he can have friends to stay.

We will need to modernise bathrooms and kitchen as well, but will probably do the main downstairs rooms first. Me and DH have always done our own decorating, but will definately pay someone to do hall stairs & landing this time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now