Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

OK, so we finally got planning permission to do our build

(11 Posts)
WinkyWinkola Wed 14-Oct-09 09:48:33

but now we need the architect to do planning regs. He says this will cost £5k. Is this right? Really? That's the cost of a bathroom. Or am I being ignorant?

claricebeansmum Wed 14-Oct-09 14:19:44

This does not sound right to me.

A good builder - actually a really good builder - will know what the planning regs are and ensure that your build complies and knows when to call them in to look at the work.

Architects generally design...and invoice! wink

FABIsInTraining Wed 14-Oct-09 14:20:40

5 grand for planning regs? No way. Get another quote.

handbagqueen Wed 14-Oct-09 14:26:54

We paid £80 for our building regs (it may be dependant on the size of the build) - they were done by the architect who drew up the plans. Most builders will need building regs to give an accurate quote.

Our build was a 2 storey extension and garage.

bebesequin Wed 14-Oct-09 14:45:32

Our builder did the lot - we were just sent copies of relevant paperwork- didn't cost much-about five years ago three hundred ish-It was an architect who worked for the same company who did the plans too so I guess that makes things easier-

jeanjeannie Wed 14-Oct-09 15:14:24

shock HOW much??! My DP does them all the time for clients....he's a builder and like handbagqueen says...they help with giving a final acurate quote. Most (good) builders have a good working knowledge of planning regs and will know the guys at the department they're applying to.

WinkyWinkola Wed 14-Oct-09 16:07:55

Thank you for your responses.

Well, I must say I was staggered by this estimate.

So, you think I should just go to a builder, get their help to sort regs out and then get quotes from various builders?

jasper Wed 14-Oct-09 16:26:12

if it is not a huge job you can do your own planning regs application.

I did this when I made some alterations to my house

I had to submit
1) a map of the local area showing my house (took a photocopy at local libraby)

2) scale drawing of before.

3) scale drawing of after, with all detail like power points / extractor fans included

The fee I had to pay to the planning dept was on a sliding scale, based on the cost of the building works.

I went to the planning dept and spoke to a planner. They were really helpful.

jasper Wed 14-Oct-09 16:28:43

if it is a huge job I have been told that architect's drawings typically cost 5 - 10 % of the total build.

Several friends have used architects in recent months for build projects and none of them would recommend their architect.

jasper Wed 14-Oct-09 16:32:07

Also have had more major building work done at work premises.

No architects involved at all. knew exactly what I wanted, told the builders and they did all the drawings

WinkyWinkola Wed 14-Oct-09 16:56:37

Erm, we're doubling the footprint of our house.

I'm going to talk to some builders first about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now