Talk

Advanced search

Any good builders around south London?

(9 Posts)
CovyCrump Tue 13-Oct-09 13:02:37

I'm having so much trouble trying to find a builder who will sort out the problems with the floor in our loft conversion. It seems that the floor needs replacing, but we just can't find someone willing to do it, as it's just a day or two's work; those who have been recommended to us have been too busy. It needs fixing really quite soon (mini Crump is due in two months).

We are in SW16 (Streatham), but if anyone knows any reliable good builders anywhere from Croydon to Elephant, from Kingston to Bromley, I'd be really grateful.

seeyounexttuesday Tue 13-Oct-09 22:17:48

I don't know of any builders in your area, but I have been ice skating at Streatham Ice rink when i was a child. Is it still there, we are going back about 35 years. smile

toja555 Wed 14-Oct-09 09:39:08

Try www.virtualnorwood.com forum, people put their recommendations there which I found very valuable.

Toots Wed 14-Oct-09 17:46:17

Burt and Travica (Bromley based) Speak to Ian Burt 0208 460 3610. They were reccommended on here years ago (I forget who by) and they did my kitchen and have done other work for me.

notcitrus Wed 14-Oct-09 20:16:43

I'm in SW16. Do you need a builder or structural engineer, or would a carpenter do? Ie are we talking just floorboards and stuff or would girders be involved?

I know a builder NOT to use - the one who vanished a year ago leaving us with no roof when I was 8 months pregnant, but MrNC has since acquired an army of workers who have nearly finished the job.

I've found some plumbers and plasterers on www.checkatrade.com - a bit pricy but very reliable and good work. Since used good, cheap but less reliable onces.

Will ask MrNC.

Streatham Ice Rink is still going - the plan to knock down it and the leisure centre and rebuild them with a Tesco is on hold yet again.

MegBusset Wed 14-Oct-09 20:25:25

We have found tradesmen through myhammer.co.uk --you can put up a request and builders will pitch for your work.

MegBusset Wed 14-Oct-09 20:26:35

Ps I used to skate at streatham, too!

Jas Wed 14-Oct-09 22:18:12

Sorry to thread-crash, but Meg - we are looking for you on the book club thread.

<Jas leaves quietlyblush>

CovyCrump Tue 20-Oct-09 11:44:32

Oh, I forgot to check back on this thread! Notcitrus I can see that you might not want to name any names, but could you possibly slip in some initials or something so I know who to avoid? From what my mother (used to work in building) says I think we need more of a builder than a carpenter, but it's not major structural. Floor up, new floor laid and secured properly.

Toots thank you for the recommendation; we'll check him out.

I'll also look at that Norwood forum and myhammer. I tried ratedpeople.com, but only one person contacted us, who wasn't actually rated by anyone on the site at all, and seems not to be a registered company, VAT registered, or a member of any guild or federation. Hmmph.

Oh dear. Baby Crump will be here in 7 and a half weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now