Talk

Advanced search

Powerflush of hot water system - worth it or British gas money spinner?

(7 Posts)
imoscarsmum Mon 12-Oct-09 11:44:45

Hot water/heating was not coming on in the evening and not getting hot enough in the morning. We have Homecare cover with British Gas so called them out to fix. Engineer installed new control/timer box, which seems to have done the trick, but he also said alot of our hot water pipes had furred up (copper pipes became magnetised apparently - that's how you can tell) and we should have the system Powerflushed for £595 to remove all the debris. And until we do, our water pipe cover (incl cold water pipes) would not be covered under our policy.

As a born sceptic, I thought this might be a bit of a con/money spinner. Looked on websites/comsumer forums and seen some positive comments and some negative ones.

Anyone got any experience of this sort of thing and can offer advice? If we do get BG to do it, any future powerflushes would be free.
Thanks.

imoscarsmum Mon 12-Oct-09 21:26:20

Bump - help anyone?

southeastastra Mon 12-Oct-09 21:28:55

sounds dead suspect to me, ask on DIYNOT if you don't have any luck here.

peggotty Mon 12-Oct-09 21:29:11

That sounds like a lot of money to have it flushed to me. Does it have to be BG that does it? Might be worth getting some other quotes and asking how often systems have to be flushed usually...

LilRedWG Mon 12-Oct-09 21:29:56

A local plumber quoted us around £250 a couple of years ago, so maybe worth getting other quotes.

Waswondering Mon 12-Oct-09 21:31:41

We had to have this done and it didn't solve our problem! Ask them for a guarantee at the outset that if it doesn't work you won't be charged! Good luck.

deste Tue 13-Oct-09 20:50:14

Get a quote from an independant company, British gas are well known for high charges.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now