Talk

Advanced search

House to flat???

(9 Posts)
flintski Sun 11-Oct-09 22:03:41

Hi all,

we have relocated from Norfolk to the home counties to be closer to our parents so that dd can spend more time with them.
However, houses are so expensive in the area that we managed to get a place for dd at school that its unlikely that we are going to be able to buy a house before the mortgage company stop holding our preferential rates - we have seen a good 3 bedroom flat but doesn't have a private outside space and is a first floor flat. What's the best thing to do - rent a house with a garden for the next X amount of years or buy a flat just to get back on the ladder? thoughts????

skihorse Mon 12-Oct-09 11:07:16

What "ladder"? Doncha know it's "snakes" right now? wink

frazzled74 Mon 12-Oct-09 11:27:54

will you be able to comfortably live in a flat and how important is a garden to you?
if you do buy flat, are you happy to stay there long term if you are unable to rise up the property ladder?

flintski Mon 12-Oct-09 17:39:34

certainly feels like snakes!! I think we could live happily in a flat but think I would miss a garden - think we would have to be in a flat for at least 5 years so its a big decision - always knew coming back to an expensive area would do this to us and I know its really not a big deal compared to some peoples housing dilemmas. Still lots of thinking I guess.

frazzled74 Mon 12-Oct-09 22:43:21

I think if it were me I would buy the flat.

flintski Tue 13-Oct-09 06:34:51

That's my feeling Frazzled - thanks for your thoughts.

tattycoram Tue 13-Oct-09 07:25:05

Have your parents got a decent garden and are they near enough that you can use it as yours? We're in a big flat in an area that we love but we are desperate for a garden. Can;'t afford a house here. It makes the weekends quite hard work because you have to pack everything up and get out, whereas with a garden there are more pottering opportunities,especially in summer. But, if we had use of someone else's garden it wouldnt be such a big deal. Just to put another point of view....

skihorse Tue 13-Oct-09 08:25:14

We're just moving from a house to a flat - last year I moved from a detached house with "acreage". I kind of miss my garden - but then I think "oh thank GOD I no longer have to do the garden". I work full-time and I have a horse and other hobbies too - I also like to spend time with my loved ones - so it's bloody excellent that I'm not out sweeping leaves, digging up weeds, mowing, pruning, cutting. If you LOVE and adore gardening it's excellent - if you're a bit "meh" about the garden, it's a bind. I know that might make me sound like a lazy cow but there ya go!

I know it's really cliche, but it's who you have in your life - now how "Homes & Gardens" your house is.

flintski Tue 13-Oct-09 20:35:14

thanks for those thoughts - I am really torn. I think it would be such a good idea to own something again - I love doing DIY (more than gardening!) but know we can afford something bigger if we rent. Is buying something the be all and end all?? I know it isn't really ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now