Talk

Advanced search

Wooden floors in ktichens - Good or bad idea?

(7 Posts)
tonysoprano Thu 08-Oct-09 15:22:28

We are renovating our kitchen and would love to have wooden floors as we have throughout the whole ground floor. However, I have been advised by several people not to have them in kitchens as they can wear very quickly, esepcially around sink and dishwasher.

For those that have them, is this true?

I am hoping it's just not really a problem as I don;t really want tiles/stone and not sure what other options there are.

JeMeSouviens Thu 08-Oct-09 15:37:31

We moved into a house with wood in the kitchen, they'd had a flood and it completely wrecked the floor. We had to replace it and ended up with look-a-like slate tiles from B&Q.

Carrotfly Thu 08-Oct-09 15:41:00

I'd say no.

I have tiles in my kitchen and wooden floors throughout the rest of the downstairs including the loo.

I can understand them wearing quickly in wet areas, as it looks a bit icky in the loo.

Tiles are much better in the kitchen, you think you dont spill much but invariably you do.

claricebeansmum Thu 08-Oct-09 15:42:39

We had oak throughout our downstairs and it was fine in the kitchen - although we did look after it. Things bounce off it too!

rebl Thu 08-Oct-09 16:21:51

I would say no. We have wood in our bathroom and its wearing very quickly and I'm very disappointed in it. As a result I wouldn't put it in the kitchen.

AllotmentMum Thu 08-Oct-09 23:19:11

Have had wooden floors in the entire ground floor, including the kitchen, for 5 years now. I think its great. It has not worn in any particular area, doesn't show the dirt instantly like my old white (!!!!)floor tiles, is kinder and warmer underfoot than ceramic tiles, and as someone else has said, things you drop on it don't break instantly. I wouldn't go back to anything else.

toja555 Fri 09-Oct-09 09:34:02

I just moved in to the house that has wooden floor all downstairs, including kitchen/diner, so do not have much experience, but the kitchen floor looked very worn (not nice at all) and I sanded it and coated with 6 layers of varnish. You might think I am crazy because usually 3 coats are considered enough but I thought 6 will do better because I don't want to be sanding the floor again! If it does wear out after some time, I would go for tiles in the kitchen area and wood/laminate in the dining area. If I had to choose would say NO to wooden floor in the kitchen and go for tiles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now