Talk

Advanced search

To fix or not to fix

(2 Posts)
susie100 Thu 08-Oct-09 14:09:02

Have been going over the options in my head for 3 days now.

Tracker rates are very low, 5 year rates are looking uncompetitive (well over 5%). The savings we would make in the first year are HUGE but would be then be unable to fix in a decent rate when rates start to rise (inevitable at some point)

Oh wise mumsnetters, tell me what you have done.

Mortgage is large and will halfish of our net income, we can't afford it to double!

Fizzylemonade Thu 08-Oct-09 15:17:54

London and Country motgage people who are recommended by moneysavingexpert always ask me if I want to beat the market or have certainty.

Previously we have always fixed and beaten the market had we stayed on a variable rate. Now we are paying a bit more than we should if we were on a variable rate but we are about to fix again grin

I like to know exactly how much money it will cost with no variations. I am not one to dwell on what could have been and don't really do regret.

If you can't afford to double your payments and it looks likely that it would be half your salary, I would fix. Better to know than to guess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now