Talk

Advanced search

Rochdale - whats it like??

(20 Posts)
relocator Thu 08-Oct-09 10:46:26

DP thinking of getting job in Rochdale. Whats it like? Where are nice places to live nearby that do not involve car travel to Rochdale as DP cannot drive. Have been looking at places along the line to hebden bridge. We will be selling a 4 bed house in the South East so should have a decent amount of money to buy somewhere.

relocator Thu 08-Oct-09 12:01:38

Doesn't anyone live there or even a little bit near? smile

fiercebadrabbit Thu 08-Oct-09 12:16:16

I used to live there but many years ago

It was then ... very poor in the main, with plenty of social problems but they don't impinge on your daily life unless you go out of your way (I was aware of them because of my job), very very friendly and funny people. There were some beautiful, big houses which you should be able to snap up on the proceeds of your house sale. Beautiful countryside round about and easy travel into Manchester when you want a metropolis.

Heb Brdige is the trendy place to live, arts cinema, lots of lesbians, galleries etc - you can easily commute by train, a friend of mine did.

I loved it there but am sure someone who is there now will be along soon to tell you more smile

relocator Thu 08-Oct-09 12:50:06

Oh this sounds quite promising. Like the sound of trendy Hebden Bridge as currently live in a place that sounds more like Rochdale!

fivecandles Thu 08-Oct-09 20:40:59

Saddleworth?

Posh people in Rochdale live in Littleborough, Norden of Bamford but Saddleworth is better. Are schools an issue?

AccioPinotGrigio Thu 08-Oct-09 21:01:08

Rochdale is an interesting place. My PILs live there in Milnrow and dh works there (having been born in Oldham originally).

We live in Todmorden which is one stop before Hebden Bridge. We did live in Hebden Bridge for a year or two but it is far too cliquey and up its own arse. Todmorden is beautiful, less expensive and more real than Hebbidge.

Also, although Rochdale has its knockers (so to speak) it has an amazing history and friendly community.

Lilyloooohhhh Thu 08-Oct-09 21:06:47

Wouldn't live in Rochdale tbh not a very nice place , Norden is nice as is Edenfield but all a drive from Rochdale or bus.
I live in Rossendale which is nice as is Todmorden.

Tortington Thu 08-Oct-09 21:15:26

rochdale is a shithole

GrendelsMum Fri 09-Oct-09 08:14:59

My sister used to live there, and agreed that Hebden Bridge was too much up its own arse. She lived in Sowerby Bridge, which is much more down to earth. She did a lot of work in Todmorden, and TBH found it rather an annoying place - people were very proud of it and had a good local community spirit, which is a good thing, but she felt that sometimes the pride manifested itself in being ostentatiously old-fashioned or even 'backwards' compared to Hebden Bridge. A sort of "we're not like those trendy folk in Hebden" feeling, which was frustrating in the circumstances she was working in.

AccioPinotGrigio Fri 09-Oct-09 09:15:03

other nice places near Rochdale are Healey Dell, Summit, Walsden. Still giving a big shout out for Todmorden though. Property wise you will get far more bang for your buck than Hebden Bridge. A town centre regeneration is on the cards and there is a new 20 minute, high speed rail service direct to Manchester. Gorgeous countryside all around, a fantastic park and high spec leisure centre. My dh commutes to Rochdale from there every day - a beautiful train journey too.

As for Rochdale, there is a big investment coming. Huge regeneration and re design for the town centre.

GrendelsMum Fri 09-Oct-09 09:26:20

Ah, but I hear that town centre regeneration might take longer and be less dramatic than some would like. wink

MorocconOil Fri 09-Oct-09 10:35:58

Does anyone know what Todmorden High is like?

relocator Fri 09-Oct-09 11:42:14

Thanks for all replies. Any views or insider knowledge about secondary schools - might as well move near a good one.

AccioPinotGrigio Fri 09-Oct-09 11:50:55

Tod High - depends who you speak to. Some rate it, some don't.

AccioPinotGrigio Fri 09-Oct-09 11:52:02

Calder High in Mytholmroyd gets better results but the head teacher and governors have not exactly covered themselves in glory recently. See Daily Mail for coverage.

AccioPinotGrigio Fri 09-Oct-09 11:55:41

Todmorden town centre regen or Rochdale town centre regen Grendels mum?

GrendelsMum Fri 09-Oct-09 12:01:31

Tod town centre - but my info on this is a year old, so the ideas of key stakeholders may have changed.

relocator Fri 09-Oct-09 13:04:21

The Ofsted and league tables for Todmorden high don't look very exciting but is there more to it than meets the eye? There is something about a new head teacher - has that made a difference?

rainbows23 Fri 24-Mar-17 06:24:33

Hoping to get sone more upto date info on the area as we are looking to move soon as my husband works in Rochdale. Thank you 😊

doublesnap Sat 25-Mar-17 08:31:06

Ah, but I hear that town centre regeneration might take longer and be less dramatic than some would like. wink

A John Betjeman poem springs to mind at this point wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now