Talk

Advanced search

Would I still be liable for estate agents fees if I sell my house privately?

(7 Posts)
mulranno Thu 08-Oct-09 07:48:31

House on with an agent...but want to sell to a family member...will I still be liable for estate agents fees

ssd Thu 08-Oct-09 07:52:11

yes if its thru them

You'll need to check your contract. Typically you'd have to pay if you sell it when it's on the market with them or if you sell it to someone they introduced. You would probably be OK if you gave them notice / waited for their exclusivity period to end and then progressed with your family member's offer, but it will depend on what you signed up to.

LIZS Thu 08-Oct-09 08:31:52

Probably - your contract will normally have a notice period and provision built in for sales via other introductions.

skybluewinking Thu 08-Oct-09 11:14:56

It depends on your contract, if it states sole SELLING rights then you would be liable, this is unusual though. Sole agency should be fine, BUT it will be tricky selling to a family member with noone, ie agent to be a buffer between you.

PestoPumpkinMonster Thu 08-Oct-09 11:22:09

Yes, until your contract with the Estate Agents is ended.

ampere Fri 09-Oct-09 09:08:14

I don't see that it would be tricky selling to family at all (other than the legalities of excluding the EA!). We need to look at the role of the EA in general. When all is said and done, all they do it place the adverts then, rather than acting as a 'buffer' between the 2 parties, they dissemble, bribe, threaten, coerce (I could go on), playing one party off against the other with the sole intention of getting their commission. I am actually impressed by the sheer skill EAs have exercised in the UK by making themselves seem so indispensable to the activity of house buying and selling.

The persons that REALLY count in this transaction are the solicitors. As long as EVERYTHING is handled via them, it's no different than selling to a complete stranger.

Boot the EA out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now