Talk

Advanced search

Finding a house to rent direct from a landlord - please help.

(7 Posts)
BertieBotts Tue 06-Oct-09 17:45:16

I need to find a house to rent fairly quickly. The problem is I will be using the council's deposit bond scheme which most agents will not accept (have found the few who do, but don't have much on their books) and am not having much luck finding any private landlords to rent direct from.

I have looked on gumtree but having phoned them up the listings are all very out of date. The local paper does not have much in. I have been looking in post office windows etc but not finding much at all.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of where to look? Is the rental side of things slow at the moment like the housing market? I don't really know much about how it works.

Thanks for any advice

PoisonToadstool Tue 06-Oct-09 17:56:57

Have you thought about putting a 'wanted' ad on Gumtree? My landlord phoned me within hours of me putting an ad up, which figures in hindsight as he was probably too lazy to write his own hmm

A card in your local shop window? Ask around, ask friends/neighbours if they know anyone?

BertieBotts Tue 06-Oct-09 21:36:58

I didn't think about putting a wanted ad up - good idea. The problem is I'm moving out from my partner and he doesn't know so need to keep it secret and not where he will see. I will ask my mum tomorrow if she would be happy to let me put her number on an ad.

PoisonToadstool Tue 06-Oct-09 21:50:41

Actually Bertie just realised I said he phoned me, I didn't put a number up just an email, I phoned him. So you could just set up a new email account and give a false name or just initial.

Sorry to hear of your circs, I remember some of your threads a few months back.. I hope you are getting support through this x

Fizzylemonade Wed 07-Oct-09 10:17:37

If you are going to set up another email account use the same provider so that if your ex looks at your history you just look like you were in your normal email.

Best of luck to you.

treaclespongeofdeath Wed 07-Oct-09 10:33:17

Hi Bertie

Whereabouts are you? I know there are a few websites for landlords/tenants who don't want to use agents - we used moveflat.com when we needed tenants for our place, which is a really good website. There are a few others around - houseladder, houseshout, nomoreagents - I don't know how good they are but might be worth a look?

I've seen some of your replies on other threads - I'm really impressed with your strength and courage and am wishing you the best of luck with everything!

BertieBotts Wed 07-Oct-09 14:11:28

I am in Warwickshire. Have looked for some sites but unless you know names they seem hard to find.

I have put an ad on gumtree with temporary email address

Thanks for those sites treacle, I have had a look through, not much there at the moment but I will check back I think the problem is places are going very quickly.

Thank you all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now