Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Has anybody had a conservatory/sun room built recently? Can I pick your brains please?

(21 Posts)
MamaG Sun 04-Oct-09 22:00:47

Wondering what style you went for and how much it was. We would be putting one on to the "hole" in an L-shaped house (if that makes any sense at all blush) and it would be approx 12x12ft.

MamaG Sun 04-Oct-09 22:03:24

...so 2 walls are already there.

northender Sun 04-Oct-09 22:11:14

MG we did that last year and are really pleased with it. It cost around £9k but a large part of that was some of the choices we made dark wood style, glass roof etc. I don't think ours is as big as yours but a lovely relaxing room all the same

lilacpink Sun 04-Oct-09 22:14:29

I had a square conservatory built on last house (not sure on size in ft, but fitted dining room table for 6 plus chairs and small storage at edges), In new house have small roundish sunroom, (fits 2 large comfy chairs, and table, not much else). Main advice I'd say is definitely get lots of sockets (as per any room), get heating - particulary near largest glass areas, ceiling fans and opening vents in ceiling are great in the summer. Blinds can help for warmth and to cool area. Keeping a dividing door may be helpful too. Some of our friends removed theirs, then found even with heating that the space was cold on icy nights and they couldn't close it off. We kept ours at both houses and we do close the areas off in the evening/coldest months.

I love being in a bright conservatory/summer room when it's too windy/rainy to be outside, but you really want to feel 'outside' - most of the time in the UK!!

lilacpink Sun 04-Oct-09 22:17:21

Sorry couldn't say about costs for sure, think it was about £10k (supply and fit) from B&Q about 6 years ago in sale (for square one), other one was already on house.

CHOCOLATEPEANUT Sun 04-Oct-09 22:21:45

We had one done in dec 07

We built it onto back of house (lean to type) we had not long bought the house and the garden was not as big as i had liked.So we went out about 6ft. But by the time we took old garage down and relandscaped the garden looked ok and im sorry i did not go out 9ft and had more room (i could have then had a different roof too) Its 24 foot long and has french doors from kitchen and lounge (replacing old bay windows) leading into it. The doors leading out of it are at the kitchen end and i have a table and 4 chairs there but this is where its tight. The other end is filled with a large corner sofa which is bliss to lie on and watch the kids play as the windows are quite low.Today the sun was out and i caught a snooze while dd was out watching disney on ice with rainbows and ds was having nap. It was lovely

Its got oak floors so is easy to clean. I love it though would change it as above but then i am not happy with all the changes i made to house but prob as i was pregnant at time of making them and rushed and did not think it through

CHOCOLATEPEANUT Sun 04-Oct-09 22:23:45

Ours cost about 6k but thats because we had an extension too so think some of the costs were put into that (foundations and so on)

MamaG Sun 04-Oct-09 22:26:36

Thanks a lot all

Sixer Sun 04-Oct-09 22:30:41

If you're gonna go for it, great! A little tip to bear in mind.. please think about under floor heating. If it's a conservatory, there will be alot of glass. Great in the summer, however during the winter you will loose a lot of heat. If your plumber (and the geezer that sells the conservatory/extension to you won't be arsed about your bills), advises "just take it off your central heating", be warned, some rad, some where will not be as efficient. Therefore costing you more to heat your extension. Plus heat rising of a radiator will head up! Underfloor heating is by far the most cost effective and efficient for the work you are considering.

Sixer Sun 04-Oct-09 22:34:36

wink Level 3 Plumber and Gas bird in training.

jeanjeannie Mon 05-Oct-09 09:27:18

Dp makes conservatories and orangeries...and he would agree with Sixer....think about under floor heating and get it insulated to the hilt! Also look at glass options...many of them really do save you money in the long run -think I'm thinking of Reflex but can't be sure!

MamaG Mon 05-Oct-09 18:49:11

ooh jeanjeannie will you ask him how much for a 12ft square one please? grin

As i say, its really two walls to attach to an L shape if that makes sense!

QuintessentialShadowsOfDoom Mon 05-Oct-09 18:53:42

Our was 4m x 5m. Little point in building anything smaller. And we did not get underfloor heating. We had laminate floor, and it was really cold in winter. We had a thick wool rug, and a fan heater blowing from morning till evening, pushing up the electricity bills somewhat.

MamaG Mon 05-Oct-09 18:55:26

thanks quint. looks like underfloor heating is a must

jeanjeannie Mon 05-Oct-09 20:59:17

Well, you can start from about 3K...in Argos - and work your way skywards! A decent wood one would be about 15K starting...and obviously less for a plastic one.

DP did say that a lot of the spend can depend on your rood. The more complicated the roof the more cost incurred to erect it. Not sure why - but apparently that is one thing that needs factoring in. You'll save a bit with the two walls already in - but shouldn't make too much of a difference. Sounds like you need to start shopping about. Have fun smile

MamaG Tue 06-Oct-09 10:59:54

thanks jj

ampere Tue 06-Oct-09 14:55:58

Go for a 'sun room', not a conservatory! The bloke from the Home Show said, last Saturday at The Home Improvement Show that per metre, it's a lot cheaper as it's the glass that costs! Get Velux windows and obviously lots of windows, too. Underfloor heating is good- but I guess you need to ask yourself what you'll use the room for. My mum has a large-ish conservatory which is fantastic- it's state of the art, heated (radiator: she just wants to keep the temperature up for her plants sakes), BUT you can't sit out there between November and April, it's too cold.

jeanjeannie Wed 07-Oct-09 08:28:25

Ampere is right about considering a 'sun room' especially if it's south/south west facing as you may well have a roast and freeze divide! Only trouble with that is you will need planning permission. I think it's something along the lines of 75% (over over) glass roof and it's a conservatory/orangerie and you don't need planning. I think it's then considered a temporary structure.

MamaG Wed 07-Oct-09 13:50:53

Thanks both

Carrotfly Wed 07-Oct-09 15:07:36

Agree with Ampere.

I have a sun room with slate roof. There is a radiator in it so no underfloor heating. Therefore dont suffer the extremes of heat and then cold as you would with a glass roof. Its attached to our kitchen and we use it every day of the year. Its east facing too.

I would never have a conservatory. Sun room all the way.

ampere Fri 09-Oct-09 11:26:58

Yes, I wish the house we're buying hadn't had a conservatory built on earlier this year! I'd've preferred to pay a little less then design a sun-room myself.

Incidentally, are you sure about the planning permission? I understood that the whole shebang has recently (last year? this year?) changed and now you're allowed to build single storey extensions as long as they don't increase the house's 'footprint' by more than is it 30% without additional planning permission.

The government/local council website has a Planning Portal you can look at.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now