Talk

Advanced search

please help me...white kitchen, what colour to dress it with?<<sob story included!>>

(18 Posts)
chimchar Fri 02-Oct-09 12:58:28

background.....i'm in a bit of a pickle. my lovely mum sadly died very suddenly in july. she was my best friend and "design consultant"! we bounced ideas around with everything and shopped /mooched around together. i tried to go shopping for stuff this morning on my own and i just couldn't decide what to go for.

new extension just coming to an end. its a rectangular room about 3.5m by about 6.5m. kitchen/diner.

we're having this kitchen, this floor and a similar toned worktop.

walls are white. we have 1 large window in the kitchen end and 3 metre wide folding doors on the dining room end.

i had originally though about a bold red and white theme, but really like the retro/vintage sort of look. not too modern though.

am torn between that or something more natural..beige/browns etc..

so. please help!

moshie Fri 02-Oct-09 13:29:30

Do you like blue? I think Cornish Ware looks good with either a modern or retro scheme.

NancyBotwin Fri 02-Oct-09 13:34:30

I've got similar colours in my kitchen (though have painted the walls a very pale grey but it looks almost white in bright light).

I veer between accent colours in red & green (esp around Christmas time!) and a combination of grey-blues and browns/terracotta - which are good for the vintage look. What things specifically do you need to buy?

(Sorry about your mum btw)

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Fri 02-Oct-09 13:36:12

Your kitchen link didn't work, but the floor looks gorgeous.

Do you have a window or French doors to dress?

If so, it might be easier to start with the fabric you want and work from there, especially if you like a vintage look.
You don't need everything too matchy-matchy if that's the look you like.

Or you could haul out a favourite jug or vase, of a retro print you love and start from there.

noddyholder Fri 02-Oct-09 13:36:50

I have red and i like it but only tiles.pic on profile.I couldn't have too much of a theme as I have lots of family stuff that is various colours which I love and the downstairs is open plan so has to tone.

chimchar Fri 02-Oct-09 16:46:36

thanks everyone. noddy. i love your pics!!

my kitchen is howdens haworth (white painted wooden units) sort of shaker stylie.

our lady..you hit the nail on the head i think. i do have windows to dress...one easy kitchen one and one 3 m wide set of doors!

i like the sort of feel of this all bright and cheery but not sure if i should go more naturally with the colours..browns/beiges/chocolate etc..

i also love moshies cornishware link...

i can't decide how to do it. i guess that whitish tiles will keep it neutral so i can change it easily, or prolong making a decision!

i have to buy EVERYTHING!!

the kitchens not even in yet, but is coming 2 weeks today!

NancyBotwin Fri 02-Oct-09 16:55:23

But most of the stuff on that link would be kept in cupboards when it's not being used (unless you have gone for lots of open shelving) so really it doesn't matter so much. I don't have curtains in my kitchen so am not constrained by the colour of those - I think if you are unsure of what look you want or think you may want to change frequently, then you should keep the curtains neutral or else get cheap ones from somewhere like Ikea so it's not too expensive to replace them.

FimboFortunaFeet Fri 02-Oct-09 17:01:10

I have a white kitchen (not unlike Noddys units and tops), I have white floors (not a good choice but is nice when mopped). I have a wooden roman blind at the triple window and have white walls with accessories in peacock blue.

FimboFortunaFeet Fri 02-Oct-09 17:01:55

I have white mosaic tiles

chimchar Fri 02-Oct-09 17:07:03

lol nancy. you're right! blush

just getting my knickers in a twist!

oooh fimbo. could you expand on your window blinds please?

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Fri 02-Oct-09 20:42:05

I'm puzzled actually - don't you already have stuff you like and use?
I'm not overly keen on a 'look' that's been bought all in one go, much prefer it to evolve and add things over time.
a
Or maybe I'm just too poor to go out and buy everything in one go!

FrightsMonth Fri 02-Oct-09 20:47:19

I love this at the moment. Lots of other yummy stuff on that site.

noddyholder Fri 02-Oct-09 20:56:07

Agree that an evolved look is much morer stylish and a llok bought totally off teh shelf is dare i say it NAFF!

noddyholder Fri 02-Oct-09 20:56:43

god my typing is shocking!

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Fri 02-Oct-09 21:23:37

Loads of mix and match things here, and it won't look as if you've bought it all by the yard.

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Fri 02-Oct-09 21:32:40

Also here is worth a browse.

NormaJeanAteMyHamster Fri 02-Oct-09 21:34:52

I'm about to have a new kitchen too. I'm going for a neutrally scheme like yours with wood floors and cream units.
I've been picking up bits and pieces over the past year (saddo!) - I love this site maybe you could find something on there that you could pull out a few colours from?

chimchar Sat 03-Oct-09 08:28:20

thanks for all the lovely links...

i do agree with you ourlady and noddy...i'm not looking to have a perfectly matched showroom kitchen, but what i am trying to establish is what sort of finished look i want iykwim? i feel need to have that in mind so i can start looking for the right colour for the windows. i'm not planning on buying the whole caboodle for the "pretty bits." like you, i like to find things as i see them.

i meant i need to buy everything from blinds/curtains, tiles, kettle, pictures etc...have nothing really to start with. our old kitchen was tiny..no room for anything on the walls or on show in there!

sorry to keep bumbling on...i told you i was in a pickle! grinblush

so, in short, neutral or bright colours?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now