Talk

Advanced search

Removals companies in London

(11 Posts)
elizabethbob Thu 01-Oct-09 16:03:35

Any recommendations? I think we'll get them to pack too. If you are meant to hand over the keys at midday, do they pack in the morning or do they need to pack on a previous day?

We're moving from central London to SW zone 2/3.

Thanks!

NoseyNooNoo Thu 01-Oct-09 18:02:32

I would really recommend F.Smith & Son who are based in Croydon. They did a great job for us recently and were one of our cheapest quotes too.
Packing tends to happen the day before

itsnotatoy Thu 01-Oct-09 18:07:50

Bushells in Wandsworth were really great - small family firm and Mrs Bushell in the office put up with us changing the date about a million times. The quote was much more reasonable than the big companies. Packed for us too the day before.

Tinasan Thu 01-Oct-09 20:08:13

We used Bushells a month ago for packing the day before and moving and I think they were brilliant. Really friendly and professional and loads cheaper than the big companies. Think we paid about £950 - the next cheapest quote was about £1500. Give them a call!

fruitstick Thu 01-Oct-09 23:02:05

We used Reed Removals - were brilliant and packed our entire house in next to no time.

elizabethbob Fri 02-Oct-09 07:48:16

Thank you. I will look into those companies!

TheHappyCat Fri 02-Oct-09 17:56:23

Use Cadogan Tate! We bitterly regretted not using them having seen what a smart and beautiful job they have done on many other places around here and our previous home. We made a similar move (west London to SW) and felt sick as a dog on the day when we saw our precious furniture manhanded, and other things eg my daughter's mattress not wrapped and chucked in the van. It is NOT the time to cut costs. I speak from bitter experience. Friends recommended our people as really good but honestly, despite liking a good deal as much as the next person, if you have nice stuff, I would use a really top firm.
Our move cost £1000 and the top firms were charging about £1900. I would have happily paid the extra £900 in retrospect!!
Good luck.

me23 Sat 17-Oct-09 17:16:10

I was about to ask exactly the same questio, am also moving from central london to sw zone 3! will check out those companies! they do seem v.expensive though last time I moved I paid £300 to move within zone 1.
How much stuff did you have to be charged that much?
we're only 2 adults and 1 small child we don't have a lot of stuff will it still be so expensive?

TheHappyCat Sat 17-Oct-09 23:56:48

We lived in a small 3 bed house and moved to a bigger place, though we didn't take any of our white goods with us. Sound slike you have less.
I have had a good friend move with Bushells yesterday; apparently they have an excellent local reputation, family firm etc (as said below) and she has heard good local reports, I will check with her and see what her experience was like.

TheWheelsOnTheBusHaveFallenOff Sun 18-Oct-09 00:02:56

also look into Burke & Wills. Did N london to SW london for me, were recommended by two different friends and I thought they were great, good packing, grafted all day whilst being polite, efficient etc. not a day goes by without seeing one of their trucks in the roads round here. and they have different sized vans so should be able to be reasonable for you me23 .

me23 Sun 18-Oct-09 16:45:07

thanks will look into both of those smile got about 6 weeks until we move.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now