Talk

Advanced search

front extension -Is it possible?

(8 Posts)
notanidea Wed 30-Sep-09 14:11:52

With another addition to the family ,we are running out of space and our house is set a little behind when compared to the other houses in the street.So we thought we will do front extension and use the extension as a garage and the existing small garage as astudy/guest bedroom. Ours is 4 bedroom detached house.

pasturesnew Wed 30-Sep-09 14:18:13

Yes have friends who have done this

ellerman Tue 06-Oct-09 22:35:04

We did this to our 1960s 3 bed detached. House was long and thin ( still is) large living room to rear overlooking garden, galley kitchen in middle and dining room to front.

Front door and vestibule alongside dining room. we built 7 feet out into front garden, turned 7 feet of extension in front of dining room and dining room into new big kitchen, knocking through window that formed fron wall of house.

Velux windows in roof makes it very light and airy. where front door used to be also was new area of 6 feet and 7 feet, which squeezed in downstairs shower room with WC.

Old galley kitchen had walls into hall taken down to make new z shaped hall and split original kitchen in 2, making PC area and bookshelves, and put new wall in and door to make small utility for washing machine, dog, all the shoes and units for all that stuff you need sometimes but not in the kitchen. velux over new part of hall too, all bright.

I was scared it would make the house look odd, everyone here has side back to front extensions, but it looks okay! I can send you plans to see.

notanidea Wed 07-Oct-09 23:13:33

we have a longish garden in the front-part of this is lawn and part of it is driveway where our two cars stand in front of the garage.We want to extend into the drive way and make a garage extension and use the old garage as a study.

My worry is that the house will look odd but we dont have any place to have rear or side extension.What would you adv to avoid the extension looking odd.We want roughly 9 feet extension to the front and this will make our house in line with our neighbours.
I am not on CAT but thanks for your offer to send the plans.

With this 9 feet extension to the front - do you think we could use the attic on top of the garage as a small play room for the DCs or am I just crazygrin

caykon Thu 08-Oct-09 16:45:22

Get in touch with your local planning office. They will give you some advice.
I have worked in planning and its sometimes not as simple as it seems. Extensions have to be slightly stepped in from existing property (has to be obvious its an addition) Also here the highways policy is at least 3 offroad parking spaces for a 4 bed property when doing any extending(regardless of if you had less before)If you convert the garage and extend out would this still be viable?
You really need to go and talk to someone if you go to your local council they will have a planning duty officer you can have a chat to and offer you advice. They won't give you a definate yes no answer, but can advise you on policy etc that you will have to abide to.

caykon Thu 08-Oct-09 16:46:40

Forgot to say policies differ from area to area, so eveything I mentioned may be irrelevant to you.

captainaffray Thu 08-Oct-09 17:49:21

Yes

Provided it respects the existing building line (imaginary line along the front adjacent properties)

ellerman Thu 08-Oct-09 21:28:50

I used an architect through that scheme that runs in June each year - where if you register with Architecture UK through their website - you get a free consultation with a local architect - in the hope that you'll use them if you go ahead. I also drove around lots of similar housing estates to see what other people had done, to see what I liked and didn't.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now