Ok so I know I wouldn't really, horrible practice, but they are being such arses I want to do something really rotten to them.
They accepted our offer on their house back in mid July... all fab and groovy. We had already sold our flat, had all our stuff in storage and were living at my mum and dad's so ready to go. Mortgage approved, deposit sitting in savings account (earning nothing BTW )
Postal strikes have caused a few problems, a couple of things have gone astray and we've had to resend, but other than that, we've signed everything we've received and sent it back by return of post or soon after.
They on the other hand have hassled and hassled us to exchange before we're ready. Our solicitor repeatedly asked for the council documents signing off on a kitchen extension they did 2 years ago, and it arrived on her desk at the end of last week - the inspection was only done by the council at the beginning of last week!! So effectively the vendors wanted us to exchange on a property that hadn't been fully signed off by the council! Er, no!
We're finally in a position to exchange, contracts signed and in the post, deposit paid (electronically so somewhere in the ether)
Secondly, today... Wednesday the 30th September, they tell us they are going on holiday on 10th October, and if we don't complete by the 9th the sale is off and they're taking it off the market.
I don't use the word often, but our vendor is a total C U Next Tuesday!!!!!
I don't know, possibly, but it must only be a very tiny amount. Prices aren't leaping up are they?
Thing is they've got another property lined up, they've done all the paperwork on that one and they're ready to exchange on it, so if they didn't want to sell why on earth go to all that trouble and expense?
If they really don't want to sell I think I might just spontaneously combust, because it'll be the second house in a row we've lost because the owners have changed their minds on a whim. We've been homeless for 9 weeks now, I'm due to have dc2 on Christmas day, it's looking increasingly likely that I'll still be at my mum and dad's when I do if they're really getting cold feet!
if it all falls through (fingers firmly crossed that it won't) just break in after the 10th when they go on holiday and squat!
more seriously if they are buying something else and have got quite far with that they are probably just trying to make sure you dont hold them up, people go a bit funny when they sell their house and make all sorts of unreasonable demands. hope it all goes well
In order to complete on the 9th - which we're more than happy to do by the way, we're still homeless - we'd have to exchange tomorrow (funds need 5 clear working days to be drawn down from the mortgage) however our solicitor still hasn't received our signed sale contract despite being sent by recorded delivery on Monday. We can't exchange until that's there. So the fault lies with the Royal Mail, though I reserving some bile for our vendors who've only just dropped the holiday bombshell and started threatening us.
oh i see! i suspect the real culprits here are the solicitors. teh vendors are probably v. reasonable people but anything they say is translated by the solicitors into 'cover our lazy arses' speak and then translated by your solicitor again.
Sadly not nancy, about a 2 hour drive away. Why oh why did I chose them?
GT.. I have a sneaking suspicion it's the vendor (well him anyway, she's always perfectly reasonable) and the agent. Their agent called our solicitor this morning and didn't even tell her about our new deadline. What a numpty!