Talk

Advanced search

Is there an easy way to paint over varnished wood ceiling?

(7 Posts)
Pannacotta Wed 30-Sep-09 10:46:26

I can't face having to sand down the whole ceiling then priming it, followed by more sanding and two coats of paint.

Is there an easy way of doing this?

We will be replacing the ceiling in a couple of years but I can't face living with dark varnished pine over my head for that long!

TIA

boolifooli Wed 30-Sep-09 10:49:22

To be honest with you I wouldn't bother with the sanding as it's not an area that is likely to get knocked and bumped so it's unlikly that the paint would get chipped off. Paint a small area with the paint you have chosen to see if it applies and dries okay looking but I think it'll be fine.

GrapefruitMoon Wed 30-Sep-09 11:02:16

I would use some good quality oil-based paint like Farrow & Ball - I used it straight onto melamine panels in our old kitchen and it was fine - and if you take your time doing it you might get away with just one coat... If you do a small patch and it doesn't adhere well I would lightly sand first and then apply the paint. I wouldn't bother with primer or a second coat.

Fizzylemonade Wed 30-Sep-09 11:15:23

I have painted over orange varnished bannisters, spindles and stair strings in 2 houses.

As they get swung on touched a lot by the children I gave them very light sanding, then used dulux satinwood in this house, previous house used B&Q anywhere paint.

They have chipped in 2 very tiny places and I just touched them up but that is because they smashed toys into them. A ceiling would be fine.

CoffeeCrazedMama Wed 30-Sep-09 11:26:22

You can get primer to go over melamine, so if you wanted extra staying power for the paint I would go for that. Then top with a quality eggshell, like F&B.

Pannacotta Wed 30-Sep-09 15:51:15

Thanks all, will see if I can get away without using primer and will get some decent paint, as suggested.

mummyslittleboy Thu 15-Oct-09 14:58:49

You can get something called ESP easy surface primer which eliminates sanding wood all you do is put it on the wood surface with a cloth leave for a couple of housr and then paint over it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now