Talk

Advanced search

Lighting for a lounge/sitting room - pendant ceiling light or wall lights?

(13 Posts)
NormaJeanAteMyHamster Sun 27-Sep-09 19:17:01

I was hoping to find a 'tasteful' chandelier type thingy but I can't - well not that isn't £££! I was wondering about wall lights but they seem quite old fashioned. What do you lot have in your lounge/sitting room?

said Mon 28-Sep-09 16:48:55

Lamps for lighting. Do also have a Big Light but never actually use it unless have to

BEAUTlFUL Mon 28-Sep-09 21:11:21

We have wall lights but are gradually ripping them out every time we rearrange the furniture. They're a PITA. I'd never, ever have them again.

I think a big light and then lamps. I love chandeliers!

NormaJeanAteMyHamster Mon 28-Sep-09 21:50:04

Thanks for the posts, no wall lights here then! We tend to use lamps too but in new house haven't got enough plug points (which will be remedied soon). I do love the idea of a chandelier, I have seen one I love in John Lewis but it's a bit £££ sad I'll keep looking smile

NormaJeanAteMyHamster Mon 28-Sep-09 21:50:37

Thanks for the posts, no wall lights here then! We tend to use lamps too but in new house haven't got enough plug points (which will be remedied soon). I do love the idea of a chandelier, I have seen one I love in John Lewis but it's a bit £££ sad I'll keep looking smile

Pannacotta Tue 29-Sep-09 17:16:24

Have you looked at Laura Ashley for chandeliers? They often have a good range and frequent discounts.

Also have seen one advertised by Next which is quite funky, its called Isla and on this page
www.next.co.uk/shot.asp?extra=sch&b=X44&p=980&s=7&n=Homeware&pid=462-109&exclude=00Q00%7c00QD00&retu rnurl=%2fshop%2fgattproductaffiliation%2flighting%2f0%3fnxti%3d0%26nxtv%3d0%26isort%3dglobalpop&bct= %26quot%3bShop%20By%20Product%26quot%3b%26nbsp%3b%26gt%3b%26nbsp%3bLighting#reviews

Pannacotta Tue 29-Sep-09 17:17:33

Heals also good for lighting, if bit ££
www.heals.co.uk/Lighting/Pendants+Chandeliers/icat/pendants_chandeliers&bklist=icat,4,shop,lighting, pendants_chandeliers

noddyholder Tue 29-Sep-09 17:23:01

Main light and lamps no wall lights they are so naff and spoil a room.BHS is great for well priced lighting and habitat has occasional gems otherwise as someone else said Heals is amazing if you have the £

IWantCleanCarpets Tue 29-Sep-09 17:24:51

Another vote for BHS lighting

MrsSixx Tue 29-Sep-09 20:31:41

I have this light in my lounge and dinning room and it looks lurvely. If you can wait for the sale (let's face it, LA have them every couple of months) you should be able to get it for under £100.

http://www.lauraashley.com/Brass+Bronze/MARIELLA-3-LIGHT-CHANDELIER/invt/3424071

I looked pretty much everywhere for lighting recently and this was the only one that took my fancy.

grin

GrendelsMum Tue 29-Sep-09 21:08:14

If you do decide you want wall lights that aren't old fashioned, and have plenty of dosh to spend on them, Selfridges is the place to go. Heals also has a pretty good selection, which are quite a lot cheaper, but still pricy.

We only have wall lights in our house so have become experts in wall lighting!

NormaJeanAteMyHamster Wed 30-Sep-09 19:13:34

LOL Miss Sixx - I know what you mean!
Unfortunately my budget isn't £££ sad, more like fair to middling.

NormaJeanAteMyHamster Wed 30-Sep-09 19:32:30

Sorry, Mrs Sixx!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now