Talk

Advanced search

Professionally installed laminate flooring has ballooned up - HELP!

(10 Posts)
LittleWeePickle Sat 26-Sep-09 17:53:11

We had laminate flooring installed about 3 weeks ago.

The joiner (carpenter) is someone highly recommended - he laid a real wood floor for DP's colleague (whose recommendation is one I take very seriously as she is not to be messed with) and his parents are respectable people who work with DP.

I am happy that we have this type of connection / recommendation with this person - sourcing tradespeople is very hard as we all know. We were ultra happy to have this guy do the work as we've had a lot of bother with work before.

We watched him work, he took great pride in his work, was reliable, punctual and paid attention to details, i.e. took off skirting boards and didn't use edging strips.

We used fibre board underlay, not the foam stuff on a roll.

Everything done properly, no corners cut.

Our house is 15 years old, no issues with the floor or damp. The room is 7m long, 4m wide at front half, 3.5m wide at back half (room is sort of in 2 halves so to speak)

We bought the flooring a couple of weeks before it was laid, and opened the packs so that it would acclimatise to the room.

However... the laminate is rising up from the floor, so much so that it is buckling and splitting between the boards. When you walk on it, it has a "wobble board" effect (like Rolf Harris) and you can hear it moving (sort of "popping"

The width of about 12 boards is affected by this - it's pretty substantial. It's a sort of zigzag effect, really noticeable. It's a dreadful mess sadly, and appears to be getting worse - the door touches the floor when it's open and shut now, and it didn't do this before.

It is B&Q value flooring, and I think the "click-lock" mechanism isn't helping this - it is apparently very easy to lay and I think the boards move at an angle because of this.

I don't understand why it's ballooned up like this. The "click-lock" thing isn't the cause, I just think it's not helping IYSWIM.

Any suggestions?

mumblechum Sat 26-Sep-09 17:56:03

Sounds like the problem is with the product, not the laying. I'd call B&Q if I were you and see if they can send someone round to have a look at it.

Prob. is value ranges aren't brilliant.

LittleWeePickle Sat 26-Sep-09 18:02:56

I can see how using el cheapo products will cause a problem - but we just thought there is no point getting expensive flooring done as we have a baby, a toddler on the rampage and 2 cats who like to vomit around the house when they feel like it.

The floor is frankly shocking, it doesn't just move a bit, it's buckled, splitting, and makes a popping sound when you stand on it. The floorboards sort of ripple IYSWIM - as when one is stood upon, the other ones next to it boing upwards. It is awful.

Looking to move soon too, so just thought we'd tart up the place so it's liveable before we move. We inherited disastrous DIY nightmares from previous occupant hmm

It has a 10 year guarantee. Will B&Q sort out paying for replacement fitting as well as the product?

Had so much bother with house renovations, it's so soul destroying...

LittleWeePickle Sat 26-Sep-09 18:05:18

I thought value floor ranges would just not have as nice a finish, I didn't think we'd have this type of problem sad

I was so happy when it was first laid...

LedodgyDailyMailstinksofpoo Sat 26-Sep-09 18:06:58

It sounds like they didn't leave enough of a gap between the fibre boards so they've expanded and raised the floor.

LIZS Sat 26-Sep-09 18:12:46

have you put the heating on yet ? I rememember we had a flat with it and it was laid with some "give" in case that the boards moved due to underfloor heating.

LittleWeePickle Sat 26-Sep-09 18:35:49

We don't have heating on yet, but I bought the flooring a few weeks before it was laid, and opened the packs and left them to acclimatise to the room.

Phone B&Q, they say they will send an independent person out to inspect, but have warned me that if the fault is with the fitting and not the product the inspector (contracted by the manufacturer) will charge up to £250 shock

How offputting [hmmm]

LittleWeePickle Sat 26-Sep-09 19:03:30

I noticed when he laid the laminate that there is a space left around the edge for "give".

Maybe he didn't do this with the fibre board...

It looks utterly dreadful, it's not a case of me being ultra picky and "oh no-one will notice". It is shockingly bad. sad

So, if the problem is the fitting what happens? We bought the flooring from B&Q, and paid the bloke to install.

He's coming to look at it this week - what can we ask him to do? Lift it up and refit it from scratch? If we need to buy new flooring does he pay for it?

LedodgyDailyMailstinksofpoo Sat 26-Sep-09 19:23:34

When we laid our wooden floor we had fibre board underlay and you are meant to leave something like a 2 cm gap around each board. I know this because dp and fil forgot to do it and had to take it all up and start again. hmm

LittleWeePickle Sat 26-Sep-09 20:48:17

I think that is maybe what he did wrong - I saw that he has left a gap around the laminate, but perhaps not around the underlay.

It is truly awful, it pops when you walk on it. I don't think he'll be able to just take up some of it, I think he'll have to do the whole thing again from scratch sad

Am dreading when he comes to look at it - I think he will also get a bad shock.

After 2.5 years of stressful home improvements this is just yet another disaster. It's soooooooo stressful. Our house is a wreck - destroyed by the previous occupant who thought they were good at DIY angry

With a 6mo and 2.2 who needs this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now