Talk

Advanced search

is feature wall wallpaperon the way out, or is it still worth doing?

(23 Posts)
twooter Thu 24-Sep-09 10:24:35

I kind of like it, but not sure whether to just go for the whole room instaed. what do you think?

FimboFortuna Thu 24-Sep-09 10:33:07

Feature wallpaper walls are my pet hate, usually they are combined with laminate/wood flooring, leather sofas and eyelet curtains.

No from me.

somewhathorrified Thu 24-Sep-09 10:44:02

If you like it, do it! I'm not a great one for feature walls but sometimes the room needs something like that to take it from bland or overwhelming to comfy.

seeker Thu 24-Sep-09 10:51:18

Doesn't matter if it's in or out - you're not furnishing a room for a magazine! If you like it, do it. If you don't, don't.

HerHonesty Thu 24-Sep-09 11:12:00

well if you want your room to look like a next catalogue.

why not the whole room? or nice pictures?

but agree with somewhat and seeker. do you like it. thats all that matters.

frumpygrumpy Thu 24-Sep-09 11:22:00

I don't think they're out, I think it really depends on the room and the colours. If you are wanting to go for a strong colour or pattern, it can just be too much round the whole room. One wall can have a great impact with a matching paint on the other walls.

One wishy washy wall in wallpaper with cream paint on the others is dull.

Also, don't think of it as a 'feature'. Think which wall you see when you walk in the room. If you have a hideous fireplace, decorate a different wall.

twooter Thu 24-Sep-09 11:30:11

i wouldn't mind if it did look like a next catalogue! think i will go for the whole room though. just very fed up with paint

Lizzylou Thu 24-Sep-09 11:37:54

Oh dear Fimbo, we have eyelet curtains and a leather sofa in our lounge..............
no feature wallpaper though and carpetted (well it will be once the insurance sorts it out) grin

FimboFortunaFeet Thu 24-Sep-09 11:49:19

grin

twooter Thu 24-Sep-09 13:44:26

and i've got a laminate floor!grin

FimboFortunaFeet Thu 24-Sep-09 13:48:41

<<bangs gavel>>
I rest my case grin

cat64 Thu 24-Sep-09 13:52:50

Message withdrawn

twooter Thu 24-Sep-09 15:16:47

oh, believe me, laminate flooring strictly a necessity but if you saw all the stains on the underlay when it came up, you'd realise we could never go back to carpet, or at least not until the dogs both die and the kids are well potty trained

Lizzylou Thu 24-Sep-09 15:51:10

After cleaning up the boy detritus from our fabric sofas on a daily/hourly basis I longed for leather sofas, now I wipe clean with a babywipe, no splodges/stains, ooh I love em grin

cat64 Thu 24-Sep-09 16:02:59

Message withdrawn

pushmepullyou Thu 24-Sep-09 16:25:30

Oh no, I have wooden floors and a leather sofa (although no eyelet curtains). And I have feature wallpaper in my bedroom sad.

Squishabelle Thu 24-Sep-09 16:31:06

Oh no - I too have the feature wall, leather sofas and laminate blush.

But at least I have no carpet or fabric sofas to harbour any nasty smells!

cat64 Thu 24-Sep-09 19:52:38

Message withdrawn

nickytwotimes Thu 24-Sep-09 19:54:41

<shudders> at feature walls.
Naffola.
But, hey, I ain't judging. wink

Seriously, your house, do it your way.
No doubt my Laura Ashley Tribute Living Room would send shivers up the spine of many a fellow mner.

GrendelsMum Thu 24-Sep-09 20:20:57

So, oh trendy ones, what should we have instead of a feature wall?

[GrendelsMum hastily conceals roll of feature wallpaper in her pocket]

And how on earth do we lesser mortals find out what's in and what's out?

Seriously, I need to know before the feature wall goes up.

Squishabelle Thu 24-Sep-09 20:26:28

Hmmmm - I think I want my feature wall gone. I think it stopped us selling our house blush!. We arent moving now but what to do with the wall instead?

TheHappyCat Fri 02-Oct-09 18:31:23

I am just pondering a feature wall in my bedroom and now amused that someone would look down their nose at my Element 7 wood floor!
Definitely no eyelet curtains (in fact we have no curtains at all, they are taking so long to choose) although we do have a leather 30s chair and stool. So I guess I qualify... (heads off to wallpaper shop...)

bodeniites Fri 02-Oct-09 18:51:40

i buy living etc and their web site is very good as it gives access to loads and loads of room settings oh and have squillions of interior books and i can tell you that feature walls are not out at all patterned wallpaper is the way to go and if you hate it paint over it dont strip it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now