Talk

Advanced search

Walk in shower enclosures advice please

(21 Posts)
nappyzoneisback Sun 20-Sep-09 19:22:35

We have been out today planning our new bathroom set up and whilst initially i was plannign a 900cm shower enclosure dh spotted in Bathstore a walk in one which is 1700cm x 800 cm and as it was such a bargain thinks this is the way to go. I am questioning the practicalities of one so if anyone has one do they really not leak water all over your bathroom? Ours will fit in a recess btu im not convinced even though we will select a shower that rains straight down as opposed to at an angle iyswim. Just to clarify its not a wet room set up it does have a low profile shower tray thingy. Thanks smile

nappyzonecantrunfortoffee Mon 21-Sep-09 11:33:23

anyone smile?

PrettyCandles Mon 21-Sep-09 11:40:48

Not entirley clear what you mean, but we have a large shower enclosure, slightly shorter than the one you mention. It is sooooooo much more comfortable to shower in than a conventional square enclosure. The extra space is lovely. I would not choose a small one, having had this one!

It does not leak. The opening door is away from the shower, and the glass next to the shower is solid. As long as the shower isn't angled towards the glass, we can open the door without it spraying into the bathroom.

Our shower is on a pole on an end wall, so it comes down at an angle, and it is perfect. I think I would prefer it to a raining down one, because I can wash without wetting my hair.

PrettyCandles Mon 21-Sep-09 11:42:04

BTW, sharing a 900cm shower is a little too snug for comfort, but with a larger enclosure...winkgrin...

nappyzonecantrunfortoffee Mon 21-Sep-09 11:44:41

i mean like this one its actually the resessed one so you see it has no door to open so to speak.....

nappyzonecantrunfortoffee Mon 21-Sep-09 11:46:01

yes i know what you eman about sharign as our en suite one is a mere 75cm and you cant help but get jiggy in that close procsimity! The man was amused in bathstore when i dragged in dh to check for size! grin

haggisaggis Mon 21-Sep-09 11:51:01

Nappy - do you mean that there is an opening at the end and the rest of teh shower is enclosed - but no door?
We have one similar to this and absolutely no problem with leaks. We love it.

PrettyCandles Mon 21-Sep-09 11:56:02

Not my cup of tea, really. I like a fully enclosed shower, as I can't bear a draft on me when I'm showering. Don't see why it should leak, though, especially if you are getting a raining down shower.

AMumInScotland Mon 21-Sep-09 12:02:09

We've got one like that - in our case both the short ends are against the walls of the room. It works absolutely fine - no leaks at all. The long glass wall in ours is curved inwards - like haggis's one - and I think that helps keep any splashes inboard.

haggisaggis Mon 21-Sep-09 12:02:12

Oh - by teh way we have both the raining down shower (used most) and a normal power shower and both are fine. No issue with draughts either as long as the bathroom door is kept shut!

nappyzonecantrunfortoffee Mon 21-Sep-09 12:09:58

excellent yes thanks like described so no door to slam shut or for ds to stand and open when i am unaware to drench the whole room - the shower we have selected rains down but also has a removal smaller attachment one for erm more personal showering or to use as a microphone grin

Thanks all smile

charleymouse Mon 21-Sep-09 12:10:12

I think it looks lovely but we did not have enough space as we only had 1200 wide in our recess.

We opted for a sliding door one and bought the bathstore shower head, triple valves and handset. I think they recommend a pump if you want to use both bits at the same time but we don't have a pump and have reasponable pressure through both even when they are on together.

It is great as the dc can sit and shower themsleves under the handheld or head unit and I can use the other bit. If we had an open one I imagine they would drench the floor.

Depends on how you see it being used. I had planned <<sigh>> that this would be a grown up ensuite space however it is often easier for all of us to hop in together and we can not do that in the kids bathroom as the shower in there is only 75cmx75cm.

It does look lovely and I can see no reason for it to leak than any other shower. In fact can see the useful drip tray bit as somewhere DH can drip before getting out and dripping all over floor. grin

thehairybabysmum Mon 21-Sep-09 12:11:23

We used to have a smilar one in our old house. Water didnt go overthe floor as the glass finishes below the height of the shower tray lip IYSWIM.

If i was cleaning it then sometimes it did if i sprayed low down but not during a normal shower.

charleymouse Mon 21-Sep-09 12:13:00

Aah just spotted where the p from the beginning of pressure went it is hiding amongst reasonable. grin

See you have already opted for my suggestion nappy (too slow at typing). Deffo think it is a good idea.

nappyzonecantrunfortoffee Mon 21-Sep-09 12:17:43

its to be used in the family bathroom to discourage the kids from using the bath more and chucking water everywhere really as like you say we cant all get in a 75cm one withut dd flapping she is touching my bum or something blush. The bathroom is going to be v long and narrow so there is room for a nice double ended freestanding bath for us grown ups too <swoon> at tuther end. Whats flooring trends these days then as also i dotn really want said small people falling over and smmashing there heads open on a hard tiled floor.

charleymouse Mon 21-Sep-09 12:55:51

Nappy not really sure re flooring we just opted for tiles with an undertile heating mat so spillages dry up fairly quickly and use plenty of towels as bathmats when getting the kids in/out. We also have a wooden duckboard as well, they tend to fall over it more than stand on it <<sigh>>

If it helps DS threw himself over the side of the bath a few weeks ago and landed on his face/head on the floor blush. Seems to have suffered no lasting damage.

Some linoleum type stuff seems to be textured if I recall correctly and is warmer underfoot than tiles. To be honest my two even slip at the pool where the tiles are all textured so not much help here I am afraid. Just constant nagging to be careful as the floor is slippery when wet. Hopefully the drip tray part of the shower will encourage them to get dry there before getting out absolutely dripping and creating hazardous puddles of water everywhere.

Pannacotta Mon 21-Sep-09 13:12:18

I like real lino for floors, brand name Marmoeleum.
Comes in loads of colours, easy to clean and warm/soft underfoot.

AMumInScotland Mon 21-Sep-09 13:15:01

I've no idea what's trendy, but we went for cushioned lino as it's soft and warm and easy to keep clean. You can get tile effect or floorboard effect ones if you like that style. It's a slightly rough texture, not the really smooth lino you used to get.

nappyzonecantrunfortoffee Mon 21-Sep-09 14:14:40

oooo of to google - how expensive is underfloor heating then as i would love that but dare not even mention it to dh ....

charleymouse Mon 21-Sep-09 14:26:53

Don't know Nappy sorry we were in a new house so I kind of lost it in the overall wiring figures. We have plumbed in downstairs but electric mats upstairs as they were a last minute decision. Sorry to be useless.

nappyzonecantrunfortoffee Mon 21-Sep-09 19:11:24

I floated the idea at dh tonight on underfllor heating and knowing of my electrocution fear ranted on about water and electric floors - i then read this thead and saw plumbed so threw back at him who has walked of muttering something about 'sodding mumsnet' grin

Anyway i have just rang this evening and put deposit on our bathroom inc walk in shower gizmo so im right excited now even though it will be months away from ever being fitted but still its there reserved and waiting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now