Talk

Advanced search

Renting out an annexe - is it full of pitfalls?

(5 Posts)
saltyseadog Sat 19-Sep-09 21:33:07

We're off to see a house with an annexe next week. It would potentially be a good buy for us, as our dd is profoundly disabled and we will always need carers in to help with her care. However, we're not at that stage yet, so we would really need to make the house 'work' for us in the meantime. One option is to let it as a holiday let, and the other is to let it as a short term assured let. However, I'm not sure if we'd be allowed to do either.

Does anyone know what the law/ rules are about renting annexes please? It is separate from the main house (which makes the place sound ginormous - it's not lol).

Ivykaty44 Sun 20-Sep-09 08:25:46

Has the annex got a seperate front door?

saltyseadog Sun 20-Sep-09 10:58:09

Yes - separate front door.

Ivykaty44 Sun 20-Sep-09 11:31:35

Oh - if its the same front door you could do the rent a room/rooms for up to £80 per week all tax free...

Can you acess the annex from your side - knock in a door and then shut the annex front door ?

mulranno Mon 21-Sep-09 00:25:04

Hi IVYkaty...I am looking to do somthing similar...I plan to add an independent access...which is the ideal. However I can keep an existing access from the main house if this would allow me £80 tax free a month. Should I do this?...Also utilities all run from our house. Should we just keep as is and charge for bills included...or should we adapt so we have separate billable eergy supplies...does it cost much to convert?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now