Talk

Advanced search

Would you live on a 30mph or 40mph road?

(11 Posts)
HouseHunting Fri 18-Sep-09 21:22:55

We are viewing a house tomorrow that is on a 30mph road. We never thought we'd want to live on a road until recently when we were on holiday & our apartment was on a main road - it was amzing how quickly we forgot about passing traffic noise. What is your view about traffic noise?

EyeballsWearingAPatch Fri 18-Sep-09 21:29:17

Most roads are still 30, aren't they? I grew up with a train line on one side, the A3 on the other and under the flight path to Heathrow. I never noticed any of it until I moved and realised I missed it. You'd have to move a fair way out to have no noise at all so no, wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

HouseHunting Sat 19-Sep-09 08:33:45

I forgot to mention that it is the main road between two towns so is very busy. Doh blush

ouchitreallyhurts Sat 19-Sep-09 08:33:46

I'd strongly suggest researching how busy it gets at different times of the day. we recently moved into a house that is on the cusp of a 30 and 40 zone(s)
we'd been shown round 4 times in total and each time it had been when traffic was not at its peak - being in the middle of the countryside we thought it was peaceful UNTIL... first night we slept here! there isa big vegetable packing plot up the lane and all the staff travel through our road at 4am!

we have got used to it now but the first fortnight I was in tears, so tired.
we are also worried about the children and cats running in front of a car and if people come to visit pulling into our drive is difficult due to how fast people are driving past.

so what I mean is, the noise is the least of our worries now but we still have other issues due to the busy nature of the road - no-one seems to stick to the speed limit either...

on and one last thing, its made it difficult for other houses to sell along here and ours was for sale for ages - if ever you needed to sell quickly (god forbid) you might find yourself quite stuck (or selling for silly money)

HouseHunting Sat 19-Sep-09 08:37:15

ouch it is a main road between 2 towns so is busy,especially at peak times. I have been wondering about safety issues for my DS if he ran outside (perish the thought) but we are going to go view to see what we think. TBH it is not a road people speed on as there re cameras on it & I drive on it a lot. The road is popular & houses do go quickly so may be that is a reflection that the road is not too bad, just noisy due to traffic flow. Hmph....
Thanks for your reply

toja555 Tue 22-Sep-09 10:12:33

Have you viewed the house yet? I would not personally choose a house next to a busy road. For me it equals noise, dirt, dust, children safety, pollution, accidents, difficult parking.

PrincessToadstool Tue 22-Sep-09 10:14:39

I would (30 not 40) - if the main rooms were at the back of the house, and the house was set back from the road a bit. And if you have no cats. And if it has a gated driveway. Maybe.

What was the house like?

flowerybeanbag Tue 22-Sep-09 10:20:34

Most roads are 30 anyway, but I see what you mean about it being quite 'main'.

We live on a pretty busy road. It's not what I'd ideally have chosen but we have the compromise of a river view, park and swings over the road and a gorgeous house DH and I fell in love with.

It's fine. We have a safety gate in our hallway that blocks off both the stairs and the front door so that there's no danger of either DS or the dog darting out of the door.

Parking isn't really an issue, occasionally DH has to park a bit down the road, my car goes on the drive, but it's never a case of no space at all.

Not particularly noisy most of the time, or at important times like night time anyway, and we don't even have double glazing. We get quite a few lorries, tractors, police cars etc but they all tend to be during the day anyway.

DS's room is right at the back of the house away from the noise in any case. He absolutely loves seeing all the tractors and other exciting things going past.

At some point I'd like to be somewhere where he can go outside and play, but that's not going to be a problem for a while anyway.

LIZS Wed 23-Sep-09 15:40:44

We live on an A road - 30mph but not many actually stick to that. We didn't look at houses outside the 30mph limit. Traffic flow has its peak but is calm for long periods of the day and all night. We have orp so parling for us not a problem but our neighbours do park on the road (a slip lane off the carriageway) and it can make it hard to see to get out of the drive. Noise level is such that holding a conversation out front can be hard but the back garden is fine.

sarah293 Wed 23-Sep-09 16:01:50

Message withdrawn

Horton Wed 23-Sep-09 19:31:25

I live underneath a flight path and less than 100 yards from a massive A road into central London (we're in Richmond). You honestly don't notice it after a while. I have never noticed it because I grew up here. DH had a few sleepless early mornings with the flight path but after that he's been fine. The only time I ever notice a thing is when I'm on the phone and the person on the other end says 'What's that NOISE?!'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now