Talk

Advanced search

Danish oil...?

(6 Posts)
Rollmops Thu 17-Sep-09 14:55:22

Another thread about floors hmm.
Have finished sanding old maple floorboards and ready to finish them, finally.
Our builder recommended Danish oil has anyone here used it and would you recommend it? Looking to achieve pretty neutral i.e. light'ish finish as have dark wood furniture and tons of colourful rugs.
Advice gratefully received!

TheBalladofGayTony Thu 17-Sep-09 15:04:36

i use it on worktops. it is the best oil to use on wood ime. would be quite alot of work to oil entire floors but good luck with it!

to get a smooth finish rub the last coat lightly with wire wool during application.

Rollmops Thu 17-Sep-09 15:26:56

Thanks, TheBalladofGayTony (like the name smile).
Ripped up the Ugly Carpets and now can not wait to have my pwetty floors ready. It will be a lot of work but I hope, compared to varnish, easier to get it right?
(Hoping.....!)

TheBalladofGayTony Thu 17-Sep-09 15:29:24

i think oiling is more 'forgiving'

kaballie Thu 17-Sep-09 15:40:29

use osmo hardwax oil with satin finish. First coat will look crap. 2nd will look awesome. You can buy it online. Danish oil not hardwearing enough. Osmo has completely natural finish but brings out grain and colour. love that stuff!Have fun...

willowstar Fri 18-Sep-09 19:23:36

we considered this for our floors but OH vetoed it on account of the upkeep. apparently you have to redo it every year or so and also wax on top of it as well. I guess in one small room it would be OK but for bigger areas surely this would be a pain?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now