Talk

Advanced search

moving house in London- must we break the bank? advice pls!

(5 Posts)
theory Thu 17-Sep-09 10:13:25

we're newish to London (came from NYC two years ago) and now have to move for the first time here as our lovely landlord suddenly decided to kick us out. I've had two estimates from moving companies to move our 2-bed flat (not so big!) - 800 and 900 for just the move, 1200 and 1300 if they pack us up, too. yikes shock

The new place is only about 10 min walk away, but we are moving from a top floor flat to a building with a lift, so some stairs to climb on one side.

Does this sound about right to you? And does anyone have recommendations for movers? Our quotes so far are from Roger's Removals and Gentleman with a Van.

Rebeccaj Thu 17-Sep-09 11:58:46

We paid about that for a 2-bed flat to be packed and moved half a mile to a house, 4 years ago, so yes that sounds about right! It cost £2k to pack and move the house 20 miles a month ago...we used Clapham Removals and I would definitely recommend them. No need to live in Clapham :-)

pasturesnew Thu 17-Sep-09 12:05:06

Sounds about right I'm afraid. We used Aussie Man & Van and liked them very much. BTW they are not particularly Aussie and it's a lorry rather than a van, i.e. a normal removals co.!

theory Thu 17-Sep-09 20:50:07

thanks for your input -we've got one more co. coming in tomorrow for an estimate (Aussie Man - thanks, pasturesnew) but we're pretty much resigned to paying now...alas

toja555 Thu 17-Sep-09 21:58:03

We used a local van in South London, we paid £50 for 2 van trips packing was done by ourselves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now