Talk

Advanced search

painting woodwork

(8 Posts)
geogteach Mon 14-Sep-09 21:19:54

My builders have left and now we face acres of painting. The builder suggested water based egg shell for the woodwork. I can only find this from Farrow and Ball and Laura Ashley, does anyone know if anyone else does it. Also any ideas on what I should prime it with, does it need another water based product, if so what?

paisleyleaf Mon 14-Sep-09 21:52:54

I've used that acrylic eggshell 1829 (acrylic is water based)
It does look lovely, and they have a really nice colour range.
I've seen it everywhere, B&Q, Wickes etc
I just did an undercoat of white emulsion as that's what I had around. But you could probably use a better primer.

GoneCuckoo Mon 14-Sep-09 21:54:57

Otherwise known as "Satin".

trixymalixy Tue 15-Sep-09 00:15:31

Make sure you use knotting solution otherwise your paintwork will look nice for a bit and then the knots from the wood will start to show through.

i speak from bitter experience!

fatjac Tue 15-Sep-09 09:27:49

Eggshell isn't the same as satin.

ceres Tue 15-Sep-09 12:00:37

best primer i have ever used is zinsser BIN. it is shellac based - you don't need to use knotting as well. it also improves paint adhesion and you don't need to sand before using.

it is quite expensive but i think it is worth it as it does such a good job and helps give a really good finish.

ceres Tue 15-Sep-09 12:02:50

sorry - meant to add you can use it under either oil based or water based paint. i always use water based gloss as it lasts much better - i find oil based gloss yellows quite quickly. i also prefer the less glossy finish of water based.

mussyhillmum Tue 15-Sep-09 12:43:09

Hi. I used Laura Ashley and F&B eggshell in a previous property. Indeed, I was told by Laura Ashley that their paint is made in the same factory as F&B. Anyway, both products were a DISASTER! They marked incredible easily and the paint wore off in a matter of months despite recommended priming, undercoating,etc. Indeed, I have found that all my beautiful and expensive F&B paint (external, internal and woodwork)tends to mark and peel! The most durable "posh" paint I have used has been the Fired Earth range. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now