Talk

Advanced search

Help definitive home - maybe its the one - but wibbling!!

(9 Posts)
Rabbitpaw Mon 14-Sep-09 16:56:45

After two years of renting we have spotted a house that astonishingly both DH and I quite like!! Upstairs is great, garden is great, kitchen diner is great and there is a small ish playroom.. garage is tiny (can't get a car in!), which we can live with...But DH thinks the lounge is "too small" (3.8 x 5.5 metres)for five of us. It is not my dream size (which would be 8 x 8m LOL)but I thinks its probably fine - with actually the main problem being that its just got one smallish window on the short wall which makes it seem a bit dark and box-like. I am the sort who always sees problems where there are none - but the room just doesn't "feel" very nice. Anyone got a lounge this size with this problem and made a wonderful room? Am stressing cos it will be all our life savings at this very very uncertain time and I'm not sure how much we should compromise...

rubyslippers Mon 14-Sep-09 16:57:43

if it doesn't feel nice now, then it won't in a year or 2

Rabbitpaw Mon 14-Sep-09 17:15:51

But does one not nice room (that maybe we could make better??!!)make a deal breaker - I know I should be grown up about these things and just make a decision but..I do like to mull it over with you lot..

Fimbo Mon 14-Sep-09 17:17:43

Could you increase the size of the window, when you have the cash to do so?

rubyslippers Mon 14-Sep-09 17:19:18

yes IMO and IME it would be a deal breaker

it's the lounge

you spend a lot of time in there

i have moved 4 times in 7 years and looked at loads of houses - would compromise on lots but not a lounge (that you say is dark)

also, you say you quite like it not I LOVE IT I NEED TO LIVE THERE!

Fizzylemonade Thu 17-Sep-09 07:42:43

Can you not put another window in or make the existing one larger? Could you change it and make it into french doors?

Could you knock through into any other room to increase its size?

If not sit down with some paper and draw the room out to scale and draw in sofas, tv, table and any storage units such as bookcases etc and see how it works.

I have a lounge with a small window but there is no wall space to increase it. It does get very dark in winter in the day, I am a sahm so it does annoy me because I am in the house a bit during the day.

In the evening it is lovely and cosy.

NorkyButNice Thu 17-Sep-09 09:01:46

The lounge in the house we are buying is just under 18ft by 12ft so similar to your sizes I think. It has a huge bay window though so doesn't feel dark or small -I think changing the window would make a huge difference.

HerHonesty Thu 17-Sep-09 09:22:56

our living room is 4.5 by 4 and yes like you it is not ideal size but it has lovely window and fireplace so feels very large. that said we dont have bulky furniture and that can really eat up space

can you change the window?
what height are the ceilings?
is is dead square or are there nooks iykwim?
do you have a picture?

Rabbitpaw Tue 22-Sep-09 15:38:33

Yup. Thanks for chatting. Think we are going to go for it. Actually when we went to have another look it felt fine, although ultimately would like to enlage the window, it was quite bright anyway...so will see how we go with bidding! Yikes! All our (not much) dosh!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now