Talk

Advanced search

Best way to clear probate house? House clearance company? Ebay? Auction?

(14 Posts)
pregnantpeppa Sun 13-Sep-09 22:21:42

We are buying my great aunty's house, after her death. She lived in it all her life and died aged 92 . There are some really interesting things in the house, but I'm not sure if actually worth any money. DH is all for photographing everything and putting it all on Ebay but we don't currently sell on Ebay and I really think it will be a hassle and can't think where will get the time. A lot of stuff would be "job lots" e.g. loads of old records, books and music - might be some valuable ones in there but otherwise might be junk. There are also larger bits of furniture.

Has anyone used house clearance companies - are there ones that will sell your stuff and give you a %? Not sure where to start! Anyone who has done this who has any tips, much appreciated. I know about freecycle, but that seems so much to do with all the stuff there is, as again would need to post it all individually and I have been let down before by people not turning up.

SOLOisMeredithGrey Sun 13-Sep-09 23:27:39

You wouldn't need to post each item separately on freecycle, just put them in manageable posts.

Don't know about any of the clearance companies other than I wouldn't trust any of them. But that's just me.

Good luck and great that your great aunt lived a long life. Sorry that she's gone though.

ClaudeFrancois Sun 13-Sep-09 23:32:35

There are some companies (and some mners) who do ebay listings (and deal with the posting etc) for you. They take a percentage. This may be the easiest way.

inscotland Mon 14-Sep-09 14:18:18

House clearance people want everything for nothing! As CF said getting an ebay trader might be a good idea or if you can be bothered a car boot sale with everything over one weekend might work People buy evertything at a car boot.

You could also advertise some bits on gumtree.

Places like Barnardos also like to take stuff off your hands but it depends if you want to sell the items or are happy to give away?

What a good age she lived to. I bet you will find some facinating things in her home.

HerHonesty Mon 14-Sep-09 21:24:09

92! what an age.

i had some friends in a similar position

they had a house sale where they advertised it on streets around them for about a week beforehand (they stuck signs up on lampposts) on a saturday morning and sold a lot of stuff on the day ( i reckon about 70%) and the rest went to charity shops.

ebay listings sounds like a complete faff.

do be careful though, you might give something away that is worth a lot. my friends got a few of their friendsn (e.g me!) to dig around and spot things - e.g dear old lady had a whole collection of that blue stripped cornish ware pottery which i "rescued" from the sale and they later sold on for quite a lot of money and someone else helped them with records, first edition books and silver. its amazing what your friends know about when you dig (or their parents etc!)>

Tortington Mon 14-Sep-09 21:27:01

my aunt boxed everything up and asked a charity to collect it

pregnantpeppa Mon 14-Sep-09 21:32:34

Thanks everyone for the replies. I've just re-read my original post and felt a bit blush as it sounds a bit money grabbing. Just to clarify that I really don't mind about getting value out of things, I just don't want to junk or dump stuff which is potentially valuable and interesting, and also want everything to have a good home! Especially as my great aunty abhored waste! I do think there are some valuable things there and would like them to go to a good home, I think if someone pays for something they are likely to appreciate it if that makes sense! But equally if I could find a charity that would take all the stuff I would be equally pleased!

I think I will maybe sell a couple of the bits which I think are potentially valuable, and try and get a charity to collect the majority - off to google now.

pregnantpeppa Mon 14-Sep-09 21:34:48

God that still sounds money grabbing. Is it bad not to want to just give away valuable stuff to charity? It honestly doesn't seem to be the money I would get.... it just seems a waste. I am trying to examine my reasoning behind this and failing! Might post my moral dilemma in AIBU

HerHonesty Tue 15-Sep-09 13:12:01

I dont think you are being money grabbing. unless you know your aunt would have wanted to give it away to charity? my grandmother would be mortified if her worldy possessions just got given away.

TheOne Wed 16-Sep-09 00:54:03

Not money grabbing at all IMO. You are entitled to do as you wish with the things and I wold feel the same in not wanting to just give things away that could be valuable or even become heirlooms.

solo.

beautifulgirls Sat 19-Sep-09 15:31:59

We used a local auction house - they came and cleared everything they thought they could sell and they take a % of the sale price acheived. They should be able to advise you of specific items of value at the time and you can put a reserve price on these to ensure they fetch acceptable money to you or are returned to you. I'm sure you could talk to them and say anything they might not be able to sell well you want to donate to charity and they can advise what is worth them selling and what is good for charity shops.

https://www.oxfam.org.uk/donate/valued/index.html

Speckledeggy Sun 20-Sep-09 10:26:10

What about a garage sale or open house? You wouldn't have to cart it all to the car boot then or faff about on ebay (which is very time consuming!).

Maybe pull out anything you think would be valuable, research it and sell it separately.

FiveGoMadonTheDanceFloor Sun 20-Sep-09 10:27:40

I would get an auctionhouse out to see if there is anything worth some money and then do a garage sale for the rest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now