Advanced search

Arrrgghh - offered on a house, but vendors want to wait for other second viewers to offer...

(19 Posts)
saltyseadog Sat 12-Sep-09 08:42:06

...should we be chivvying the vendors along, and if so how?

We offered 97.5% of asking price on Thursday morning - given the state of the market we think that this is a very fair offer (house is great but needs heaps of work). The agents said that there was a second viewing on Fri evening, and that the vendors wanted to see how this went. Fair enough - I would probably want to do the same, and the estate agents said that the 2nd viewers would be asked to come to the table with an offer immediately, and that we would get an answer this morning.

However, if we don't hear this morning, how long should we wait? I don't see why dh and I should be left hanging whilst another couple navel gaze as to whether they want it or not?

I don't think I'm cut out for house selling/ buying any more!

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 12-Sep-09 08:48:18

I would wait and see for a day or two but not get into a bidding war with the other potential buyers.

I would also carry on viewing other houses. There is always more out there that you can want as much.

Tambajam Sat 12-Sep-09 08:52:24

I think they are trying to provoke a bidding war or at least try and make you nervous. I would really try and hold off for a couple of days if you can.

saltyseadog Sat 12-Sep-09 09:19:29

Yep - it's difficult <sits on hands>. I agree, they are trying to create a bidding situation....It's just difficult as we have already missed out on several houses this summer - including one going to sealed bids.

Bakergirl- you're right - there are plenty more fish in the sea . I have to keep telling myself that I have never regretted the houses that I've 'lost' in the past <repeats as mantra>.

MadameCastafiore Sat 12-Sep-09 09:28:05

Phone the agent that their house is for sale through and book a viewing of another house today, whilst you are on the phone tell them that you are not getting dragged into any kind of war and that your offer s final.

Feckin cheek of it - they should be glad to have an offer, especially at that rate!

We lost 3 houses before this one and don't regret it at all - it just wasn't meant to be.

ChasingSquirrels Sat 12-Sep-09 09:47:03

seems perfectly reasonable to me, although very frustrating for you.

saltyseadog Sat 12-Sep-09 12:00:17

It's not unreasonable chasingsquirrels to wait for the second viewing - however it is unreasonable to make us wait indefinitely for a response to our offer.

The others have gone in at the asking price - which we have matched - so I have asked for it to go to sealed bids. That seems like the only fair way of settling it, as I'm not prepared to play 'bid ping pong' as the agent suggested hmm.

LIZS Sat 12-Sep-09 12:02:52

We had this and lost - ironically it then sold for less than we had offered, presumably reduced due to survey.

Blackduck Sat 12-Sep-09 12:09:33

We did sealed bids and won. I would push for sealed bids and if they don't go for it give one full and final offer and say thats it.

edam Sat 12-Sep-09 12:21:55

House on my street went to sealed bids. However the winning bidder still paid £25k under the asking price. So don't be tempted to pay above the odds. (It was also a house that needed work - agent reckoned £20k - and eventually on survey it was discovered the extension hadn't been done properly and needed underpinning.
So not sure whether buyers paid £25k under after survey and their original winning bid had been higher.)

saltyseadog Sat 12-Sep-09 12:45:19

Thanks everyone. Its definitely going to sealed bids. We won't bid way over, as then we're getting into the territory of paying more than it's worth, which would be bonkers in a flat market.

ChasingSquirrels Sat 12-Sep-09 16:50:09

Hope you get it!

brettgirl2 Sat 12-Sep-09 17:42:55

I think the position of the buyer is often important too. Personally I'd accept a lower offer from someone who wasn't in a chain.

saltyseadog Sat 12-Sep-09 17:45:11

Unfortunately neither of us are in a chain - we're both in rented. Arghhjh! I need to win the lotto tonight .

MaggieVirgoOn Sat 12-Sep-09 17:47:37

Agree with FabBakerGirl, tell them, "that's grand as there is a house we wanted to view. We may go have a look now, speak soon?"

HouseHunting Sat 12-Sep-09 21:09:41

Good luck!! We recently offered on a house & the Vendor said if we upped it by £3k the house was ours BUT he wanted to honour the other viewing lined up that w/e. As you can guess, the OP offered & it went to sealed bids - turns out both parties offered the same amnount (£15k below asking price) but they got as they had a 90% deposit whereas we had a 50% deposit. Am still gutted
BTW I have read on here that you should offer an odd number i.e £297,541 as opposed to £297,500 so that yor offer stands out. Good luck again

saltyseadog Sat 12-Sep-09 21:16:26

Thanks househunting and chasingsquirrels. Sorry to hear about your sealed bids experience I know we have to be philosophical and all that - but we do really like this house. I suspect I will be chalking it up to experience next week....

brettgirl2 Sun 13-Sep-09 08:01:09

Good luck - I know it's a pita but I'm a strong believer in fate wrt houses. If you miss out on this one, something else that you may even be happier in is round the corner.

Speckledeggy Sun 13-Sep-09 10:18:45

"and the estate agents said that the 2nd viewers would be asked to come to the table with an offer immediately, and that we would get an answer this morning."

That's hardly waiting indefinitely, is it?

Be patient.

We offered on a house we were desperate to buy but the vendor wanted to wait and see if they could achieve the asking price (£325k) or just under (£320k). We waited a few weeks to see what would happen but another house came up which was perfect for us and a much better buy. Our offer was accepted. It's a lot less money and not in a chain. I laugh when I see the other one now although it has just sold I think it was a lucky escape!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now