Talk

Advanced search

How big is your kitchen/diner?

(12 Posts)
ForestFloor Fri 11-Sep-09 13:12:11

I am looking to plan a kitchen/diner for our new house. I think the space will be about 22ftx10.5ft. What sort of division should be have between the rooms - I am intending to have a breakfast bar thing coming out to separate them, but how big should each space be? Is it big enough to have a little corridor with the washing machine/tumbler/hoover in?

What size is your room, and how does it work? If you have a big fridge, where does it go? If you have any useful suggestions, I'd be really grateful.

mumblechum Fri 11-Sep-09 13:14:42

24ftX17.5 ft.

It's not separated, we have a little table & chairs in one corner, the rest is units, fridge & freezer. There's no dividing bit.

We don't have w/machine or d/washer in the kitchen, they're too noisy so are relegated to the utility room next door.

Your idea sounds nice, go for it!

toja555 Fri 11-Sep-09 13:29:08

We just bought a house with a kitchen/dinner that was separated by a breakfast bar. The size is around 5m x 4m (sorry don't know ft), there is kitchen units on one 4m wall,d fireplace on another 4m wall, entrance door on 5m wall and windows and back door on another 5m wall. The first thing I did I removed the breakfast bar - initially I thought it was OK, but then I saw is not convenient to walk around and interferes with all other furniture that we would like to put (dining table, play corner etc.) For me big space with nothing separating looks better.
P.S. If you need a breakfast bar, I can give away mine..

ForestFloor Fri 11-Sep-09 13:29:47

Wow mumblechum that sounds huge!

The room I am planning is more rectangular than yours, and is build into the garden at the back, so I was thinking about using the last few feet of the garden end for a utility, with the kitchen following, and the dining area being the first bit you come to when you come through the house - that way people will stop and sit at the table to chat! Do you think there will be enough space for that?

noddyholder Fri 11-Sep-09 13:52:01

Overall 32 ft long.Kitchen diver bit is 21 x 10 and there is another 10 x 11 tv room but they are in an L shape with no seperation really.All appliances are integrated and I have a sep loo/utility/larder built in the hall.I think a breakfast bar makes it look smaller if its not I have a very long skinny table that seats about 10 and it keeps the spacious feeling

noddyholder Fri 11-Sep-09 13:54:11

if its not wide is what I meant!

ForestFloor Fri 11-Sep-09 21:15:47

That's what I'm not sure about noddyholder - whether the room is bing enough for what I want/ I DO need a table that seats ten - how much room does that need do you think?

GrendelsMum Fri 11-Sep-09 22:55:02

I agree with NoddyHolder - I think that your room is quite narrow and a breakfast bar would break it up unnecessarily.

blithedance Fri 11-Sep-09 23:05:06

It does depend a bit where the doors are. My last two houses have had a room about 10ft x 20ft. We had at one end the kitchen and one end the table/chairs/dresser - you can do it.

In the last place I had a unit sticking out to semi-divide the room that was about 120cm from one wall but was not a corner, just a straight run. It had fridge and freezer under and a small upstand at the back, and was the tea/coffee/sandwich/breakfast making area. In some ways it does help to zone it up.

I remember thinking "family Christmas dinner" and working out that a 150cm x 80cm table could (and did) seat 10 (2 each end and 3 each side, squashed), but wasn't too supidly big for the rest of the year.

Georgimama Fri 11-Sep-09 23:08:32

Don't do breakfast bar. Not in a room that narrow. Our kitchen (if I think of it as a / anything it's breakfast room, although we eat all meals there. That is pretentious, isn't it?) is 22 foot x 8 so it's very narrow. Washing machine is in utility though - don't like clothes with cooking smells.

kitsmummy Sat 12-Sep-09 07:11:29

Ours is 26 x 10ft and one big space with no divide, I prefer it that way, I think it makes it feel bigger and more luxurious. If yours leads into the garden I definitely wouldn't build a utility into the room, have double doors instead so you get a lovely view of the garden.

ForestFloor Sat 12-Sep-09 22:22:30

Ta for replies. Breakfast bar idea not popular then? The room opens on to the garden from the side of what will be the kitchen bit, which is why I was thinking about a utility area on the back wall iyswim? Does that make sense? For those that have tables that seat ten, how big are they btw?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now