Talk

Advanced search

What do you use your utility room sink for?

(23 Posts)
MrsAlwaysRight Thu 10-Sep-09 19:55:02

We have just started a single storey floor extension and will be moving our utility room which currently has no sink. So I need to decide whether to have a sink in the new utility. What do you actually use yours for? Thanks smile

englishpatient Thu 10-Sep-09 19:57:52

Ideally, to soak stained washing/clean muddy stuff etc. BUT in reality, to hold plastic bottles & drinks cartons ready to go to the tip for recycling!

PestoSurfMonster Thu 10-Sep-09 19:57:57

Cleaning muddy shoes/wellies
Handwashing clothes
Stain-removing

for starters

NorbertDentressangle Thu 10-Sep-09 20:03:51

-handwashing/soaking clothes
-cleaning mud off things (shoes mainly)
-standing umbrellas in when we come in from the rain
-washing out paintbrushes, rollers, trays etc
-to fill watering cans etc for the garden (if waterbutt is empty)
-tipping really dirty water down rather than using kitchen sink (eg. contents of mop bucket)

We also have a toilet in our utility room so the sink is used for hand-washing too (although its a kitchen sized one)

BiscuitStuffer Thu 10-Sep-09 21:13:56

I've had a think and I really can't see why a sink in the utility room is needed.

Nasty mop bucket water I throw down the shower or in an outside drain

Muddy wellies I scrape dried mud off outside with a knife and that's good enough and if it wasn't I'd use an outside tap or the kitchen sink (where one also washes mud off carrots and other unsuspecting vegetables.

handwashing / destaining stuff would be fine in either bathroom sink or in combination with a 'dedicated' washing up bowl / bucket

Paint brushes etc are fine in any sink in the house - kitchen or bathroom

Watering cans - kitchen sink is fine

Umbrellas - I prop ours up on the doormat by the front door, open, until it's dry and then close it and put it away.

Can you tell that we have just decided not to have a sink in our utility room wink

HerHonesty Fri 11-Sep-09 09:02:34

whats the point of a utility room without a sink?

throckenholt Fri 11-Sep-09 09:04:47

washing hands, dealing with clothes that need hand wash of any kind, defrosting the freezer which is in there too.

All those things you don't want in the kitchen really.

MrFlibble Fri 11-Sep-09 09:06:12

I think of it as the sink you use to wash things you dont eat, for example, muddy shoes, paintbrushes, clothes and DS when he was still small enough to sit in it!

Rollmops Fri 11-Sep-09 09:16:46

Had a double sink in an oversized utility room. What a waste of space that room was hmm.
Sink held some paintbrushes and.... eerr... that was really it. Aha, used it for pouring out the water from the dryer.
The whole room was full of JUNK.
Now have a lovely shower room instead to go with the new 'entertainment room cum Dad's Den' and everybody is happy. Washer - dryer live in oversized 'cupboard', all the other laundry stuff as well. Have new large storage area for the abovementioned junk so that's out of the way as well.
For the muddy wellies, scrape the mud off and that's about it, we also have water supply in the garden so stuff can be hosed off if needed.
Handwash, hmm, too lazy, everything that can't be washed gets drycleaned.

morningpaper Fri 11-Sep-09 09:17:09

I removed the sink from our utility room as I cuoldn't see the point of it. We have an outside tap for dirty work. Most people's sinks in theri utility room are just full of crap such as recycling.

Seeline Fri 11-Sep-09 09:20:17

I wouldn't be without my utility room sink. I think Norbert and I went to the same training school - my list exactly matches hers smile Oh - I also use mine when defrosting the freezer which is next to it.

NorbertDentressangle Fri 11-Sep-09 09:20:19

I've just discovered a negative about having a sink - you get huge great spiders in it!

I've just discovered one in our utility room sink when I went to wash my hands after putting a load of washing on. Its still there now as I can't face doing anything about it.

NorbertDentressangle Fri 11-Sep-09 09:21:27

Seeline -training school? Me? I'm a bit of a slattern really blush

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Fri 11-Sep-09 09:25:18

Another Norbert clone here. Except the watering can thing as I use a hose on the rare occasions I water the garden.

Niecie Fri 11-Sep-09 09:31:14

Keeping buckets in most of the time.hmm

We do use it to fill up said buckets to wash cars and tip dirty car water away. Once in a blue moon job though.

Rinsing pukey or wee'd on bed linen before putting in the washing machine.

Hardly used at all most of the time.

Seeline Fri 11-Sep-09 09:43:30

Norbert - me too. That's the beauty of utility sink - you don't have to worry about trying to get rid of all the stains that you get from using it in this way. Even I would be embarrassed if my kitchen sink was in the same state blush

YohoAhoy Fri 11-Sep-09 09:48:16

Ours does get sometimes used for washing muddy trainers & boots or rinsing heavy mud off clothes before putting them in the washing machine.

However, mostly it serves as an extra storage space - currently holding 4 wetsuits.

We're thinking of redoing the whole room, and the sink is currently under debate.

We have a sink in downstairs loo anyway, so.....

cuppateaplease Fri 11-Sep-09 09:52:33

I love my sink in the utility room - similar uses to others ie anything dirty/not to do with food. Is space an issue in the new utility room? If you have the space then have one - the bigger the better for soaking 'stuff' (have just cleaned oven and the shelves were in there soaking - yes i know i could use the bath but I still like the sink
We are currently house hunting at the moment and most of the houses only have a kitchen with no utility room and all i can think of is how can i fit washing machine, dishwasher, fridge, freezer etc into one kitchen and I would miss my extra lovely big sink!

NorbertDentressangle Fri 11-Sep-09 09:57:19

I've thought of another time we use it -to wash the barbeque grid/grill thing as its big, bulky and messy.

I wish now that we'd put a big Belfast sink in our utility room. We used to have one in the kitchen of our old house and it was fab for huge things that don't fit in your average kitchen sink.

GrendelsMum Fri 11-Sep-09 16:20:08

I've always wanted a sink for flower arranging!

mathanxiety Fri 11-Sep-09 16:26:37

Wouldn't be without my nice, deep utility sink, despite its ugliness. Always useful for rinsing puke off bedding before washing grin Can also be used for washing small dogs, if you attach a spray nozzle to the taps.

bebesequin Sat 12-Sep-09 20:33:45

Washing machine
cats bed
wellies
dry washing
gut fish
tumble dryer
recycling
soak big trays /pans whilst awaiting space in dish washer
groom the cat
dry coats
store extra booze at xmas
store household cleaning stuff
water plants
the most useful room in my house-not the prettiest by any means -tiled floor -warm as it houses the boiler -big sink and some storage -never had one until movedto this house but honestly would now not be without one

MrsAlwaysRight Sat 12-Sep-09 20:44:53

Thanks for all the replies. I think I am going to have one put in. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now